• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Screen/UVB/technicallity

Murtaghs_family

Hatchling Dragon
So i know uvb bulbs only have a certain strength and it creates a gradient of amount of uvb the correlated to distance. I also know that a screen will filter out about 50% of the full strength UVB from the bulb... Here is the big question. How much uvb is provided by the sun through the screen of a window? (Glass up screen down) how does it compare? I know unfiltered pure sunlight is best but what about through a window screen? Is it still stronger than a UVB bulb? I apologize if this isn't categorized correctly ...

Thanks!

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing compares to the sun.

To answer your question though it truly depends on what time of day, time of year, where you live, cloud cover, which direction your window is facing in correlation to the sun, etc. to determine just how much will be filtered by a screen. Either way, summer sunlight through the screen will be better than any bulb any day. ;) Just be sure the temps are correct and he is able to regulate if needed.

Note: During the day, he will still get uvb as long as he is in view of the sky with or without direct sun. Right now my meter reads between 65-80 with a setting sun behind trees pointed to the sky directly above me.

Murtaghs_family

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much! He loves his window spot and i would love to allow him to stay there longer, i was just concerned about not enough uvb
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374416723.551087.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My concern would be not enough or too much heat to sit there for an extended period of time ...

Murtaghs_family

Hatchling Dragon
We've been getting heat waves of 90•-95• and farther from the window on the table thats attached its about 80• (i took the temps to make sure and i watch for any signs of needing to be outta the heat) thank you for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tested in indirect sunlight (sun is setting 7pm), clear sky.
Without screen 134
With screen 90

Pointed direct at the sun 3600

Latest posts