• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scratching and hiding

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you guys for your help. I was leaning towards male as well. Ugh, it makes me upset to know that I went to a "so-called exotic vet" paid extra $$ for his incompetence. Well, I am never going back there. The vet said, "What a beautiful girl" LOL I guess its hard to find a good vet nowadays. Someone who really knows their stuff and isn't about just $$, very rare right?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh, what an annoying sound! Here I thought mine scratching on their wooden hides was bad, the tile is much worse LOL! He looks like he's just trying to get comfy to take a nap.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Oh, what an annoying sound! Here I thought mine scratching on their wooden hides was bad, the tile is much worse LOL! He looks like he's just trying to get comfy to take a nap.
the worst is scratching at plexi, makes me cringe. he does it every night when the lights go out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL I know right so when he starts scratching can hear it across the house :eek:
Glad to know that we got the sexing out of the way. Poor fella was getting called male/female names. No wonder he wants to hide and get away LOL!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When they are brumating and you hydrate them in a bath remember they only take water in orally (in the video he says soak them in the bath. Also they should loose very little in weight during this time so keep track of their weights so you know what's going on with them, and get a fecal done before and after brumation)
Make sure you provide a bowl of greens even if they are asleep in case they come out and your not around and they are hungry.. Just make sure they bask and digest and poop before you let them sleep again so the food doesn't rot in their bellies..

****Below in several of our comments we've put links to info that we have put together..In there I've written up info on brumation for reference..You'll also find the post in the general info section at the top.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is him today he woke up and put some greens right there if he wanted it and he ate it. He's very tired and sleepy lol

Attachments

• IMG-8007.jpg
    IMG-8007.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG-8012.jpg
    IMG-8012.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I also provide a couple caves/hides as well.
This cave has a bit more room height wise. Does it really matter about caves/hides when they're brumating in or they will know whats good for them? On the video says to use a towel or some sort.

Attachments

• IMG-8055.jpg
    IMG-8055.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I also provide a couple caves/hides as well.
This cave has a bit more room height wise. Does it really matter about caves/hides when they're brumating in or they will know whats good for them? On the video says to use a towel or some sort.
Doesn't really matter hide wise and really doesn't matter if you put a blanket in there or not..I think that's more of us inputting what we would like... In all 3 of my tanks I have a 12x12 tile up on 3" 1x1 pieces of wood. I then put a fleece or reptile carpet under and to make it a hide I drape a fleece piece of blanket over so it makes it dark under there but I can still peek under to see them.. this way they have room to move around under there and they do or at least mine do.. and my big male likes to spread out while he sleeps.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok cool. If he gets bigger maybe ill make a bigger custom hide for right now he seems to enjoy those caves. Since he is hiding I turned off the reptisun 10.0 bulb. I figured if he is hiding (not really benefiting) these last couple days just wasting away the UVB. As you know those bulbs decay quickly. The only thing I have on is the basking bulb to keep warm and for digestion.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We turn our bulbs off when we are home and they are in their hides. I like to leave them on when we aren't home in case they do decide to come out.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I work from home so I am able to check up on him. Today he is awake, looking out of his cave. I turned the UVB light back on and offered some dubias. Not really interested :/

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I also tried different feeder like the BSFL's not interested either lol

Not uncommon lol sigh these guys make us crazy with their not eating lol my older male has been in/out sleeping and when he's awake for a day or two all he will do is drink when I bathe him...

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They do make us crazy. They are experts on "How to get the hoomans stirred up and do all the guesswork" LOL and of course, they would be picky/fussy eaters. He is back out of the cave so I'll just leave the lights on. He hasn't really moved much and slept in the same position of where I last saw him.
That was him last night and this morning HAHA has not moved, only thing has moved are his head position and eyes!

Attachments

• IMG-8299.jpg
    IMG-8299.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG-8306.jpg
    IMG-8306.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Other than him being extremely lazy.. he looks healthy right? I measured the weight the other day and he actually gained some grams he is now weighing 350 grams and before it was 342g.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks. Just making sure he is not dehydrated. He hates water with a passion so I try to avoid (less frequent) the baths but I do have a water dripper but he kinda freaks out still ha ha