• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sanded tile

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My dad, being the stubborn man he is, wants to sand down his tile so Coco can get better purchase. I don't know if this is the type of "rough" eveyone is reffering too. It sounds like it could hurt him or tear some of his nails off. :/ So, is sanding the tile down a good idea?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
IDK too much about sanding tiles. It will alter the texture but wont it take off the "seal" the tile has making liquids able to penetrate the tiles better? Then poopies will penetrate and bacteria can thrive.

Like I said IDK maybe if he re seals the tile afterwards again. But then it will be a lot cheaper to just go and buy rougher tiles????

Sure someone else will have a better answer for you

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tried a variation of that.. when I was using polyurethane to seal in the wood, of Orions' enclosure, I sprinkled washed/baked in oven, play sand over the wet surface.. Let that dry in... and once again, did a coat of urethane over it..
The sand worked free of the sealant, and I had to replace that piece, so he wouldn't ingest any sand. My temps simply were not high enough for one, and two, there was the contamination factor from feces.

Your dad has the right idea.. but might I suggest something easier on all concerned ? A house hold brick. Surface is rough, will file down the nails.. and it can be washed, and baked in the oven to kill bacterias.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts