• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sand

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes that is what is used, but must be strained first to ensure that any larger pebbles are removed. But if your GF's BD is less than 10" long nose to tip of tail, it needs to be on a non-particle substrate at least until it is that size.

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
I personally do not prefer sand. every substrate has a downfall to it , and sand ( no matter what type you get) has a risk to your bearded dragon and that would be impaction. and besides bearded dragons in the wild do not live on loose subsrate. they actually live on hard packed clay. the substrates that i would recommend would be; paper towels, slate, tile, newspaper ( not the most atractive but it works).( just saying i just used the ones that came to mind). i use tile, its easy to clean up after the BDs. a while back i had a problem with sand, it always get to dusty. and i dont like how the BDs had to breathe in all that dust. some people do not have that problem ,but i did including the wash play sand. its all up to you, if you really want to use sand i would agree with germ about the play sand. oh and one thing tile isnt sooo perfect, if the BDs take a Poo it gets all over the tile. if you use water for just the daily clean it comes right off. but the Poo also gets on your BDs stomach, all you do is let him/her take a bath. this dosent happen two two often but it does happen. Good luck ! ;)..

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I personally do not prefer sand. every substrate has a downfall to it , and sand ( no matter what type you get) has a risk to your bearded dragon and that would be impaction. and besides bearded dragons in the wild do not live on loose subsrate. they actually live on hard packed clay.
Some sands do have a risk of impaction, and all particle substrates do if husbandry is not kept up to par. However, if husbandry is kept up to par, the BD is large enough to handle it, and the play sand is strained for larger pieces it is perfectly safe to use. I'm not sure where you got your information about BDs living on hard packed clay though... How do you think they: bury their eggs and brumate, as well as get to cooler areas on particularly hot days? They dig.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The term "bearded dragon" is most commonly used to describe the Central Bearded Dragon (pagoda vitticeps). Members of this genus live in the arid, rocky, semi-desert regions and dry open woodlands of Australia. I don't live in Australia, but I really can't see a "semi-desert" region having to much hard clay. Just my two cents.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The term "bearded dragon" is most commonly used to describe the Central Bearded Dragon (pagoda vitticeps). Members of this genus live in the arid, rocky, semi-desert regions and dry open woodlands of Australia. I don't live in Australia, but I really can't see a "semi-desert" region having to much hard clay. Just my two cents.

Actually there is a lot of heavy clay and gravel soil in their native habitat but it is not hard packed instead being cracked, dry and extremely dusty. Their native habitat also contains areas of sand dunes called "Travelling Sands". Many dragons do die each year of impaction in their native environment but it is from the clay soil and NOT from the sands.

I believe the most accurate part of Vincent's post are the first 6 words which he says "I personally do not prefer sand...".

Someone once told me that the only "good" info is accurate and complete info based on facts. While personal opinions can offer assistance they can only do so when they too are based on "good" info.:)

Enjoy

PolishPuff

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I dont own a BD yet, I did research for a month now too see if I can really care for one. I have a 125 gal tank, and lots of sand leftover from my fish setup. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE>>>http://www.marinedepot.com/Caribsea...avel_Substrate-CaribSea-CS0823-FWPCPG-vi.html

Now, I will begin building set up next weekend, its going to be a show tank, since its the first thing you would see when you enter my apartment. I do have tiles, really nice ones. Similar to>>>http://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/cat...ments---sediments/sand-andgritted-7245/11183/

I would like to buy small BD, about 6-8 inches. So, with that small of a BD sand wouldn't cut it, right.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,

I dont own a BD yet, I did research for a month now too see if I can really care for one. I have a 125 gal tank, and lots of sand leftover from my fish setup. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE>>>http://www.marinedepot.com/Caribsea...avel_Substrate-CaribSea-CS0823-FWPCPG-vi.html

Now, I will begin building set up next weekend, its going to be a show tank, since its the first thing you would see when you enter my apartment. I do have tiles, really nice ones. Similar to>>>http://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/cat...ments---sediments/sand-andgritted-7245/11183/

I would like to buy small BD, about 6-8 inches. So, with that small of a BD sand wouldn't cut it, right.

Washed and Sifted Children's Playsand can only be used safely with bearded dragon's that are 10+ inches in length from snout tip to tail tip. Before using the dragon needs to also be healthy and well hydrated.
If you are planning to use sand in the future the Washed,Sifted Children's Playsand is perfectly safe as long as your dragon meets the requirements above and is the only particulate substrate I would recommend. I also recommend that before using it that you bake it in a 225 degree Fahrenheit oven for at least 30 minutes and then allowed to cool to room temperature. This will kill any molds, fungi or bacteria that may be in it. I also recommend depths from 2-4 inches but have know others who safely go 2-6.
They danger is not from cutting because your dragon is well armored but younger smaller or dehydrated dragons will have a higher tendency to ingest the sand. Childrens Playsand does not clump and small amounts ingested will pass right through the digestive tract but the consumption of any none food substance in large amounts is never a good thing. Also NEVER use CalciSand as it does pose a high impaction danger and is not absorbed into the dragon's system as claimed. Stick with the Washed Sifted Children's Playsand if you decide to use sand and ONLY when your dragon is appropriately ready for it.

I look forward to seeing your new dragon and your "show tank" and hope this answers your question.

Enjoy

PolishPuff

Bearded Dragon Egg
Washed and Sifted Children's Playsand can only be used safely with bearded dragon's that are 10+ inches in length from snout tip to tail tip. Before using the dragon needs to also be healthy and well hydrated.
If you are planning to use sand in the future the Washed,Sifted Children's Playsand is perfectly safe as long as your dragon meets the requirements above and is the only particulate substrate I would recommend. I also recommend that before using it that you bake it in a 225 degree Fahrenheit oven for at least 30 minutes and then allowed to cool to room temperature. This will kill any molds, fungi or bacteria that may be in it. I also recommend depths from 2-4 inches but have know others who safely go 2-6.
They danger is not from cutting because your dragon is well armored but younger smaller or dehydrated dragons will have a higher tendency to ingest the sand. Childrens Playsand does not clump and small amounts ingested will pass right through the digestive tract but the consumption of any none food substance in large amounts is never a good thing. Also NEVER use CalciSand as it does pose a high impaction danger and is not absorbed into the dragon's system as claimed. Stick with the Washed Sifted Children's Playsand if you decide to use sand and ONLY when your dragon is appropriately ready for it.

I look forward to seeing your new dragon and your "show tank" and hope this answers your question.

Enjoy

Thank you MB for a quick response. I will stick with tiles that I got. BD safety and long being is my #1 goal.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Sand issue as has been mentioned is personal preference, the choice of the keeper. Vincent likes to pop in every few months & throw his views in attempting to put the unsubstantiated fear of the use of sand into the newbies. I will echo what others have already said, if you set it up & provide proper husbandry, there will be no issues with the use of Strained Children's Washed Play Sand. Have been using it for all my BDs 10"+ for 11 years now with no issues whatsover, although it can be dusty at times.

This is not to say that anyone has to use it, just that it is a very viable option, that has been safely used since the start of the hobby by many, many keepers. There are many alternative, non-particle substrates that can be used, if that is your choice.

Latest posts