• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The best is no sand. If you must use sand (for your own amusement or the looks of it) you need to get normal play sand sift it and bake it to get all particles and contaminants out of it. Personally if you want to use a particle type substrate you can use excavator clay which is pretty neat its moldable and then solidifies. I use tile, most will suggest tile, newspaper, paper towel, non-adhesive shelf liner, or repti-carpet.
No repti-bark, no calci-sand, no crushed walnut shells, 99% of those particle substrates sold at pet stores are not something you should keep your dragon on.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just remember, that if you do use sand, or any particulate substrate, your dragon will essentially be living in a litter box... Wait until you clean out the sand the first time completely.. the odor will seriously gag ya.. Much better and hygenic to use a non particulate substrate.. we won't go into the issues of blockage or impaction... Honest.. we wouldn't steer you wrong on this..

Other than that.. it is a personal decision.. though for a young dragon under a year in age, non particulate is much better...after that... you do the research.. and make the decision..
Janie

Beardielova

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was told that All Natural Calcium Sand made by Cal- Stron. The Pet store told me this is the best and only one to use. What do you think ???

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
calcium sand just is a bad idea. when it gets wet it clumps together that mixed with the calcium in the sand tends to cause dragons to lick and ingest it which can lead to impaction (though not always).

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sand is a very controversial topic. Some have used it with great success. The key to success with sand is to ensure you pick up the poop ASAP after going and change it regularly. Sand can harbor bacteria. Sand has been known to cause impaction too.

I'm not a fan of sand. I've used it in the past once my beardie reached 1 year old. But I changed it to tile after a year of it. Bernie was never impacted, but it was smelly, messy and a pain.

I went to tile. It was such a sigh of relief. The viv was easier to clean, I didn't have sand storms on the glass any longer and Bernie seemed happier too.

If you do go with sand, make sure you sift as Brian points out. I've used calci-sand and you would be surprised what you sift out of there. Large pieces of glass. I found tiny pieces of glass in children's play sand.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
if you want my honest opinion on substrate, its this, for dargons under a year, and for beginner keepers, non particle substrates are the way to go...if you are an experienced keeper of beardies and your dragon is over a year then half non particle and half particle substrate is fine...i personally am not a fan of sand but dirt and sand mixed for part of the tank and tile for the other half.

calcium sands and pretty much every pet store substrate is death in a bag (with the exception of excavator clay which is ok to use)

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As all of the above non-particle substrate for now, especially for new owners and young/juvie dragons. The reason for this is that young/juvie dragons methabolism are'nt fully developed yet. The majority of young dragons intestines have a "kink" in them (this is natural) which may be blocked by particle substrates if they cant pass them properly.

Latest posts