• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand or tile ?? Help !

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Hi everyone I am new 2 beardies and have a 5 nearly 6 month old boy called diego. He is very active I get him out his viv a few times a day, he eats well, and I thinks it well and happy. BUT... I currently have sand in his viv but im thinking about changing. (Reasons; the sand gets in the slip the glass door runs on and makes a very loud and awful sound. Diego is very active amd tends to run through his water and salad bowl and sand ends up in it. Takes a long time to pik all the scattered bits of salad out and make sure theres none hiding so it doesnt go stale in there. Also diego likes to dig that y we gave him the nik name diggy so I have to flatten the same bak out quite a lot aswel. )
Does anyone have any ides? I was thinking tile but then I wondered if it gets cold? Then I thought reptile carpet but I thought his nails mite get caught? Lots of different choices could do with a bit of help. Thanks :)

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Reptile carpet is fine.
Newspaper and Paper towel are best.
Tile is also good.

Sand can cause impaction so I would stick clear of it.

Millet seed is also good but have to line bottom with paper towel to absorb the moisture. And change every couple weeks.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Reptile carpet, not the stuff that looks like moss but the thinner flatter kind is a good choice. So are paper towels. If he's not at least 10 inches long, I'd get him off the sand right away. When he gets a bit bigger, can you get some Plexiglass and cut it to size (long enough to span the front of the tank..and maybe oh 4-5 inches tall)...place it on edge behind the sliding doors as if to make a barrier of sorts keeping the "flinging" sand out of the grooves of the door track?

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Thanks for the help a am really like tye look of the viv with tile in but I am worried about it bein cold? Do the tiles get cold? Thanks.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Well my home is quite warm and his temps r always fine so hopefully it shud b ok I think?

william.josif

Bearded Dragon Egg
My opinion would be to have sand, because in the wild that's what they have in the desserts. The reason why they dig is either because there to hot and are looking for a cooler spot or if they females they dig to get comfortable to lay there eggs.
I have used cat litter in the past. Sounds silly but it is hard on there feet which improves there skin as there tuff creatures, also it helps wonders when you clean them out. All there poop just adsorbs straight away!
Hope this helps you. :)

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The only sand that is acceptable should be children's washed and sifted play sand.

And cat litter? I really can't see that being all that good........ That could cause serious impaction in the beardie.......

Yes they do have sand in the wild but how any of the new born die because of it?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I would highly NOT recommend cat litter or anything else that clumps when wet, or absorbs moisture. Children's playsand that Luvthemanimal suggested is my choice as well.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Think im gunna opt for tile/slate I think it looks nice n will b very easy 2 clean ;) thanks for all the help :)

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Im glad of the honest opinions as I am new to beardies. So thats very much ;)

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, apologies, I just meant that if a person IS gonna use sand, the kind you suggested is best :)

No no u didn't. No need to apologize.
I know sand looks cool as hell and I've always used it before. Just not worth the risk whe. They r small. Bigger yes bit not small.

Latest posts