• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand Mats

amy2614

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my bearded dragon is 8 months old and I have a sand mat for it is that okay because it's almost 12 months it's not hurting the lizard or anything but I was told that they couldn't be in sand right now because their juvenile so I was just wondering if the sand mats is the same as having them in sand.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my bearded dragon is 8 months old and I have a sand mat for it is that okay because it's almost 12 months it's not hurting the lizard or anything but I was told that they couldn't be in sand right now because their juvenile so I was just wondering if the sand mats is the same as having them in sand.
Sand mats are ok for older dragons I recommend getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- cut to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution-- you can get it at your local home improvement store

amy2614

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sand mats are ok for older dragons I recommend getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- cut to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution-- you can get it at your local home improvement store
I just got the sand mat in there and it is doing ok

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi....NEVER use real sand it impacts them. Stick to mats, terry cloth towels or padded matts; those are all good. Just make sure u keep the tank super clean they like their poop cleaned up immediately and if they lick or ingest it they can get COCCIDIA; which is deadly, needs a vet and is like killing lice. So Keep it Cleaner than Clean

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I just got the sand mat in there and it is doing ok
As long as ur BD doesn’t make meals out of the rocks, sand is fine aswell it has to be rated “play sand” other sands will clump up, I would get rid of the matt though (they’re impossible to clean you’ll end up ruining it by putting water on it, they make great backgrounds though :) my beardy will climb her rock walls and it helps keep their nails down.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use a Sand mat to. The only thing that can happens if my baby frank ate one and would not eat for 2 and a half days. But after that he just poop it out. When I upgrade his enclosure to 120 gallon I will most likely use a bio active substrate.