• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

San Fransisco to ban live animal sales in all pet stores

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I was reading about this on another forum. SanFran is proposing a ban on all live animal sales in pet stores within San Fransisco. I find myself torn. On the one side this is "the man" taking away yet another right pet owners have, but on the other hand I would LOVE for pet stores to no longer be allowed to sell live animals or at the very least be put under a watchful and strict set of checks and balances to be certain they maintain an appropriate level of care (which most do not) for their animals.

Anyway
here is the link to the legislature.

http://pijac.org/_documents/ca_san_fran_ban_on_dog_sales.pdf

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah this is tough one..

I think I have to agree with Brian. Something has to be done about the level of care animals receive in Pet stores WORLDWIDE.
There are a few who do a decent job, but the majority needs really strict guides and regular inspections.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Man what a double edged sword! I gotta agree with you Brian. I honestly think at the very least they should put stricter laws on the stores like you mentioned.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Bri, you guys wuill cope and adjust ;), it's a great law IMO. We have to go to govt. licensed pet stores here for reptiles. NSW has a law against selling reptiles in pet stores altogether. Plus you don't see a lot of us talking about pet store abuse in OZ forums now do you? All it takes is one phone call from the public in regards to the care of natives in pet stores here and the authorities are on them in a heartbeat for a "spot check". We do have an understanding though that the level of care for "private" Vs "commercial" is different so for the most part they are "basic" care. When we get our licenses there is actually legislation on "captive practices" that we have to adhere to and if inspected and found we are not adhering to it we could have all are specimens taken and our license revoked (not that inspections are regularly done).

I do agree that it could be seen as "the man" over stepping it's boundaries on civil liberties but what's bad for you guys is good for the animals. I actually wish here in OZ the ban would go to all animals as well not just natives. There is absolutely no need for encourage the trade of animals for "impulse" buys.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I sure wish there was a "LIKE" button on here like on FB, for all that Francis just wrote.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think that live animal bans in pet stores are a decent thing, until it encompasses fish. There are no regulations within the US to enforce this "unwritten" code of keeping we think pet stores should adhere to. And IF there were regulations and a code, who would enforce them? I simply don't see the American people freely giving up more tax dollars to support "pet police" any more than i see them better supporting and enforcing the animal control laws we already have in place. If they can't do one, how are they supposed to add another?
There are certain bans i've been against for one reason or another (usually purely selfish) but this isn't one of those. it may control that impulse buy mode and make people do research, helping them, and the animal. In turn, it also increases sales for the breeders and lowers the count on wholesalers. It puts the animal at a higher chance of going to a home where knowledge is power, and they have the power to provide more than that pet store caresheet.

just my 2 cents

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
I think that live animal bans in pet stores are a decent thing, until it encompasses fish. There are no regulations within the US to enforce this "unwritten" code of keeping we think pet stores should adhere to. And IF there were regulations and a code, who would enforce them? I simply don't see the American people freely giving up more tax dollars to support "pet police" any more than i see them better supporting and enforcing the animal control laws we already have in place. If they can't do one, how are they supposed to add another?
There are certain bans i've been against for one reason or another (usually purely selfish) but this isn't one of those. it may control that impulse buy mode and make people do research, helping them, and the animal. In turn, it also increases sales for the breeders and lowers the count on wholesalers. It puts the animal at a higher chance of going to a home where knowledge is power, and they have the power to provide more than that pet store caresheet.

just my 2 cents

This is why I love you ;D

Latest posts