• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sample food sizes

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Bearded dragons need to have their food chopped up for them, and size depends a lot on the dragon! Here is a sample banquet prepared for my kiddos. We have chopped red leaf lettuce, collard greens and shaved butternut squash prepared for them today.
IMG_2001.jpg

The babies require a lot finer chopped lettuce:
IMG_2002.jpg

Compare to a close up of the adults food:
IMG_2003.jpg

Reactions: Jp

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yea i know that they need be very finely chopped i know greens from the begging to lol . i will try and feed them when they start eyeballing each other i was wondering this would work for a incubator right? http://www.amazon.com/Bator-Still-T...MGM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333409597&sr=8-1 and ill have to post a picture of my racks on here they work very well only about 40 $ for a 40 wide in the front 24 inch shelves and 20 inche on the side width. its so cheap cause the fittings for the cornering are relativity cheap and for 10 feet of pvc 1 inch it is 1.97 so you need 7 pieces of the pvc to make 8 cuts of forty , 8 cuts of 20 and , 12 cuts of 24 let me post a pic of my plans and thanks allot for the help really is needed

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

not my best writing but its three shelves i made with wood cutouts i just make a extra inch on the wood cutouts and make little square cutouts were the corner pvc would go so you can put it on their and it stays stable on the pvc nice and tight

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
yea i know that they need be very finely chopped i know greens from the begging to lol . i will try and feed them when they start eyeballing each other i was wondering this would work for a incubator right? http://www.amazon.com/Bator-Still-T...MGM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333409597&sr=8-1 and ill have to post a picture of my racks on here they work very well only about 40 $ for a 40 wide in the front 24 inch shelves and 20 inche on the side width. its so cheap cause the fittings for the cornering are relativity cheap and for 10 feet of pvc 1 inch it is 1.97 so you need 7 pieces of the pvc to make 8 cuts of forty , 8 cuts of 20 and , 12 cuts of 24 let me post a pic of my plans and thanks allot for the help really is needed
I misunderstood what you meant then, woops! These two posts need to be put back in your original post so people will know what you're talking about if they haven't been following.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yea lol kinda hard to explain without pics laughing out loud i will when i get the time but im going to do it when i have it all layed out and can take pics just wanted to show you the dimensions of the shelves how big they are for how cheap it is about 45 dollars for the whole project my corrections would be 24 height per shelve
40 " length , 20 inches wide

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, and there are some breeders that use the hovabator, but some of them say they cook the eggs too hot. Depends on which side of the fence you want to sit on with that one. I went with the exo terra mini fridge lookin thingy and wish I hadn't.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well their is one the is thermal air flow similar to the reptibator it also has digital tempature control and brings in fresh air in the heating procces for the one im going to get and its only 55 dollars and has a water tray I believe and can i use vermiculite from anywhere and what is the other substrate they use for the other half ?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
well their is one the is thermal air flow similar to the reptibator it also has digital tempature control and brings in fresh air in the heating procces for the one im going to get and its only 55 dollars and has a water tray I believe and can i use vermiculite from anywhere and what is the other substrate they use for the other half ?
Probably Perilite. Don't use straight Perilite though! It'll dry out your eggs. They also have something called hatchrite that i've heard about.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Does hatright work I heard of it but I know you can do a vermiculite 50/50 to perlite
I would imagine it's probably a more expensive pet store version of what you can do yourself with perilite and vermiculite. I believe you can even use a straight vermiculite base. That's what I've got my eggs sitting in right now. I've never tried hatchrite though, so I'm not sure.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well i will get back with you on the research on the hatch rite and I might try like a couple trays with it in it and maybe do a vermiculite and perilite mix

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i actually just found a guy that said he is using a hovabator right now with perilite in the water channels and adding water to the perilite once a week to keep humidity up to 90% and he said he uses hatchrite in the hovabator

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I had to add water to the perilite a lot more often then once a week. Could be the difference in incubators as well, though. Lost a lot of eggs between that and the temp dipping at night with this incubator.

bish109

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well im going to do a 24- hour monitor on the incubator when i get it just to test out to see how to get the temps to stay at 82 83 by watching it 24/7 and messing with it ill keep the temps in my house at 70 degrees reguarly but when the eggs are here ill keep it at 70 so i wont have dipping temps my house stays the same degree with my thermostat

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
well im going to do a 24- hour monitor on the incubator when i get it just to test out to see how to get the temps to stay at 82 83 by watching it 24/7 and messing with it ill keep the temps in my house at 70 degrees reguarly but when the eggs are here ill keep it at 70 so i wont have dipping temps my house stays the same degree with my thermostat
The thermostat on the hovabator might work different then the one on my incubator. This incubator apparently goes off of the ambient room temp and will only raise it so high beyond that.

Latest posts