• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Same setup, new location...

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
it's ok. you'll get thru it. Rather go thru it now than for one to be seriously hurt, pay the vet bill, and still have to seperate them.

Set up that sterilite tub, he'll be good for awhile.

Thanks for the support! And I thought my rescue dogs were stressful ;)

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Call me high strung, lol, but last night I could barely sleep and was having crazy irrational dreams about beardies and also about my cat's incisions from their spays popping open. Blah.

Gimme an abused rescue dog any day! Lol. Well, no don't do that either.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome! Sounds like you have been in good hands. Keep us updated on their progress and what the vet says.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Hi and welcome! Sounds like you have been in good hands. Keep us updated on their progress and what the vet says.

Thank you :) all you guys have been so great, and it's very much appreciated. I still have lots to learn, lol. The forum I usually frequent isn't always the friendliest towards it's relatively ignorant "newbies" so I really appreciate the non-judgemental feedback I've received 8)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thats why this forum is different. Not so much the mob mentality and a little more of people trying to be helpful.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
thats why this forum is different. Not so much the mob mentality and a little more of people trying to be helpful.

haha mob mentality, sounds about right!

Definitely refreshing that's for sure.

So I got an update from the homefront (not home from work yet) and Greisun (bully) is on his perch and Tanyr (bully-ee) is back in his hide on the cold side. Blargh.

At least nothing terrible happened while I was gone. I hate this!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feel your frustration. Honestly, I would separate them as soon as you can. As Brian suggested, you can put a divider in the middle of the existing viv. A piece of cardboard. Secure it tightly.

Or you can get a rubbermaid bin as LadyKnight suggests.

What you have described are definitely dominant and recessive traits in your two new family members. And if one is a female, you don't want to have to deal with eggs and such.

BTW...glad the forum is working out for you. I think all of our members feel exactly the same way - we were all in your shoes. We've learned. There is no such thing as a stupid or dumb question. How can you learn if you don't ask. The day we stop learning is the day we no longer exist in this world.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh k cardboard, good, cuz I'm home now and wondering what the heck I'm gonna put in there! It makes me sick watching Greisun going after Tanyr like that.

Is three feet long by about 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide gonna be big enough for each?

I'm also concerned about the temp being too high with both heatlamps/basking areas, and also that I won't be able to get enough of a gradient. Or should I just worry about that later?

Thanks so much again!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cardboard will be fine. Make sure it is secure and Greisun can't break it down.

The size is fine for a temp situation. You'll need to get another viv in the near future.
T
If temps are too hot, you can play around with a lower wattage basking bulb. A standard household bulb can be used. The old fashioned kind, not the energy savers. ;)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't know of any issues with using tape to secure it.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3x2x2 tank is fine for a adult dragon (considering a 40 gallon breeder, which is the suggested minimum, is 3x18")

If you can get a more permanent separator such as a piece of wood or some black/opaque plexi that is glue in you will be fine for a permanent solution with that setup.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
3x2x2 tank is fine for a adult dragon (considering a 40 gallon breeder, which is the suggested minimum, is 3x18")

If you can get a more permanent separator such as a piece of wood or some black/opaque plexi that is glue in you will be fine for a permanent solution with that setup.

Perfect solution to this predicament, nice one mate.

If you divide the tank you won't have to shell out for a new one, just additional lighting for the two sides i.e. 1 uvb each, 1 basking lamp each and if need be 1 CHE each.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:

From what I have been reading, I figure'd they'll be big enough but it's good to have someone who actually knows confirm it for me :)

I imagine that if once they're gone (because reality is that one day they will be) I can remove the glass and scrape away the glue?

Red Ink AUS said:

If you divide the tank you won't have to shell out for a new one, just additional lighting for the two sides i.e. 1 uvb each, 1 basking lamp each and if need be 1 CHE each.

Nice, being able to keep them both in the one big tank would definitely be good, lol. They take up enough room as it is :p

CHE?

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh I figured it out..ceramic heat emitter! Lol. Der.

The person I got them from didn't even have thermometers, and I only have one. Off to the pet store we go. Poor guys are living it rough right now :-\

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't think anyone mentioned about thermometers. Here's where I can kick in. ;) Do not get/use the stick on thermometers, because they can be off by quite a bit! A good suggestion is a digital one with the probe. They are quite inexpensive. Even temp guns people will suggest, as they are the most accurate.

I've used a stick on thermometer before, and was always worried because the temps were too low. Once I bought a digital one, turns out, my temps were correct all this time!

I hope everything works out great for you and your new beardies. ;D

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
AlicesArk said:
crypticdragons said:

From what I have been reading, I figure'd they'll be big enough but it's good to have someone who actually knows confirm it for me :)

I imagine that if once they're gone (because reality is that one day they will be) I can remove the glass and scrape away the glue?

Red Ink AUS said:

Nice, being able to keep them both in the one big tank would definitely be good, lol. They take up enough room as it is :p

CHE?

You are welcome. I know with all the information thats out there sometimes its hard to keep your head on straight. And yes you will be able to simply scrape up what you use to hold down the plexi. Now remember, like Gina said, you will need two temporary homes for them for 24-48 hours while the adhesive cures, dont want them breathing in any harmful fumes.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardie_love said:
I don't think anyone mentioned about thermometers. Here's where I can kick in. ;) Do not get/use the stick on thermometers, because they can be off by quite a bit! A good suggestion is a digital one with the probe. They are quite inexpensive. Even temp guns people will suggest, as they are the most accurate.

I've used a stick on thermometer before, and was always worried because the temps were too low. Once I bought a digital one, turns out, my temps were correct all this time!

I hope everything works out great for you and your new beardies. ;D

Right on, that's what I was going to use anyways...this little unit with the dangly sensor, correct? A new years ago I was going to purchase a ball python (but never made the show) so I have the one at least :)

crypticdragons said:
You are welcome. I know with all the information thats out there sometimes its hard to keep your head on straight. And yes you will be able to simply scrape up what you use to hold down the plexi. Now remember, like Gina said, you will need two temporary homes for them for 24-48 hours while the adhesive cures, dont want them breathing in any harmful fumes.
There's so much different info out there! And no I won't forget ;)

You guys are all just great lol. Again I tottally appreciate you all! Maybe I''ll even post some pictures for ya!

Latest posts