• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Salmonella

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My next question, and I am full of them, LOL, is about Salmonella. I hear all of these stories about reptiles and Salmonella. I know they CAN carry it, but they don't all have it do they? I guess my question is this. Is it safe to let your BD run all over your furniture, etc. I see pictures of Beardies on everything from keyboards to end tables. If they have Salmonella wont it transfer to anything they come in contact with and in turn spread to whomever touches said object? We are so careful about where Scarlet goes and a little OCD about handwashing and wiping down surfaces after we have been in contact with her. Can any of you enlighten me a little on the topic of Salmonella?

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They carry the potential of passing the infection along, via mainly their poop and their tongue. This is why it is advised to wash or sanitize after handling them. Believe me when I say that getting Salmonella poisoning SUCKS!...

I had a severe (as in 4 bags of IV fluids to replenish what was lost all through the night before) case of food poisoning from under-cooked chicken at a chain restaurant many years ago. I literally begged the doctor to just OD me with morphine, I was in so much pain and felt SOOOO sick.

So, I always have that experience in my head as to why I need to, and do, take precautions in handling Gobi and any other reptile.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think that there is more of a risk when live feeders such as pinkies, rats & rabbits are fed 2 reptiles but always a good idea wash hands & sanitize areas your pet has been.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So it really isn't a good idea to just let them run around where ever they want unless you are able to clean the area. i understand that nobody in their right mind is going to go around the house licking the furniture and carpet, LOL, but can't it still be transfered from those areas to our hands and then into our mouths? Does the bacteria die after it is off of the body for a certain amount of time?

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You can still let them free-roam. Just don't put them where you lay food (like kitchen counters and dining tables).

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've never heard of Salmonella being given 2 someone by a Dragon but it can be a concern. I do think that it is wise 2 clean areas they have been 4 sanitary reasons as well as precautionary measures, that's just me. No need 2 worry, these are very special & amazing animals.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mine only gets free roam of the main room. (where the viv is kept). I don't have them anywhere around food or in the beds,etc. the dogs aren't allowed in the kitchen and bedrooms either. just our personal preference...my hubby is a chef so alot of the house rules follow food safety standards! LOL..even the kids aren't "welcome" in the kitchen.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im not dead yet and i havent even had a cold in the last 10 yrs, so my thoughts, although possible, I think i have a better chance at being struck by lighting. Just my thoughts

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You have a higher chance of getting salmonella from under cooked chicken, than your lizard. I have handled a couple thousand reptiles over the past couple years easy, and neither myself or my family have been ill.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanx!!! From what I have read almost ALL reptiles carry salmonella in their intestinal tract, therefor it's in their feces. I guess my concern was more so my kids than myself. For example my daughter takes out Scarlet and lets her run across something then later lays a cookie that she is eating in the same spot thereby ingesting whatever was on the furniture. Both of my kids have been really good about washing their hands, etc. But my older daughter, Scarlet's actual "momma" will bring down food and water dishes and set them on my kitchen counters before she washes and refills them. When she is done she simply walks away and does not wipe down the counter. So if someone else comes along and lays their food in the same spot before I get in there and disinfect it seems like there would be some danger there. Another question, hand sanitizer was mentioned above. I have read that it is bad to use hand sanitizer and then handle your reptile. Do any of you know anything more about this?

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
[quote="117star, post: 47127 But my older daughter, Scarlet's actual "momma" will bring down food and water dishes and set them on my kitchen counters before she washes and refills them. When she is done she simply walks away and does not wipe down the counter. So if someone else comes along and lays their food in the same spot before I get in there and disinfect it seems like there would be some danger there. Another question, hand sanitizer was mentioned above. quote]

I have to admit..I do this quite often too. Not on purpose or anything. Just get busy and forget to go back.
We haven't had any problems at all. The dragon is always running around with the dogs~they both lick the same spots. The dog even tries to clean the dragon as if it was a puppy. Not saying any of this is right; just that WE haven't had any problems. I make sure the kids understood how important it is to wash hands too, but I know they don't always do it!
I take it seriously and try to keep things cleaned...BUT...Personally, I am more afraid of catching salmonella at a restaurant than I am from my dragon.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That was something that had me concerned but I heard it was mostly from their feces as well, that it could carry salmonella that way. I've gotta wash my pants, 'cause Jethro decided to start to use my hands (which I washed at least three times after he was put up), then on my pants. I figured it'd happen one day, like when he used my laptop (also sanitized completely). Just always wash your hands, and I keep reminding my parents of that, or anyone else that holds them, to make sure they wash their hands after holding one of my lizards.

Latest posts