• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Salad?

Sidthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can anyone recommend types of salad/fresh food to give our beardie? He won't eat salad at all, just turns his nose up at it, were told to starve him of crickets once a week to get him to eat it? What salads do you guys feed your Beardies?!

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
Im new to this also. Just read that lettuce isn't that beneficial other than it can get water that way. Collard greens are supposed to be really good for them from what ive been reading and watchibg videos. That's what im going to be getting for mine to try. Right now he's just eating fluckers buffet blend and dubia roaches.

Other than the collard greens Ide says carrots, maybe like green peppers just not hot peppers.

I imagine there a lot you can try. I would just stay away from lettuce.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Here are some salad links http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf and http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I usually try to do a mixture of 3 greens, collards, dandelion and mustard and then throw in a veggie or two. My boy likes mustard greens and not much else. Today he had some zucchini which was a shock. I'm learning my girl doesn't like the spicy greens like mustard and she will eat dandelion and collards but only if they are dusted with a multivitamin.

I think I've tried everything on those lists at least one time.

Sidthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are some salad links http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf and http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I usually try to do a mixture of 3 greens, collards, dandelion and mustard and then throw in a veggie or two. My boy likes mustard greens and not much else. Today he had some zucchini which was a shock. I'm learning my girl doesn't like the spicy greens like mustard and she will eat dandelion and collards but only if they are dusted with a multivitamin.

I think I've tried everything on those lists at least one time.

I've tried him with many different greens.. Everything on the lists.. But he doesn't take any intest at all.. He won't even try them, is it because he has veg in his viv all day? Should we take it out during the day? Infact today he actually did a poo on his veg so I clearly know what he thinks about carrots and kale..

Sidthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im new to this also. Just read that lettuce isn't that beneficial other than it can get water that way. Collard greens are supposed to be really good for them from what ive been reading and watchibg videos. That's what im going to be getting for mine to try. Right now he's just eating fluckers buffet blend and dubia roaches.

Other than the collard greens Ide says carrots, maybe like green peppers just not hot peppers.

I imagine there a lot you can try. I would just stay away from lettuce.

Thankyou! Have been told to stay away from Lettace too. He won't even look at it tho that's my problem, he doesn't even want to try it, he's shedding so I know that means he eats less, but he just walks all over his veg and poos in it.. He went for a carrot earlier.. But never picked it up..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's frustrating but don't give up. My girl used to eat salad all the time and then just stopped. Now she's 2 1/2 and I struggle everyday trying to find something she will eat. I started dusting her salads with Reptivite and this past week I've walked in on her eating her salad. Not a lot of it but it's a start.

Also, if you have a young beardie, they need more protein than greens so it's not a huge deal if they don't eat their salad.

My boy doesn't like fruit and I kept trying to feed him strawberries once and he kept refusing. One day I cut the strawberry up and put it in his bowl next to his mustard greens. I came back in the room and he pooped on the strawberries! As if to tell me once and for all that he doesn't like them!

Sidthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's frustrating but don't give up. My girl used to eat salad all the time and then just stopped. Now she's 2 1/2 and I struggle everyday trying to find something she will eat. I started dusting her salads with Reptivite and this past week I've walked in on her eating her salad. Not a lot of it but it's a start.

Also, if you have a young beardie, they need more protein than greens so it's not a huge deal if they don't eat their salad.

My boy doesn't like fruit and I kept trying to feed him strawberries once and he kept refusing. One day I cut the strawberry up and put it in his bowl next to his mustard greens. I came back in the room and he pooped on the strawberries! As if to tell me once and for all that he doesn't like them!

Would you reccomend trying the mealworms in the bottom of the bowl trick? Although I do fear he will just eat the mealworms and leave the veg.. He eats his crickets twice a day, but he's not really a baby anymore, he's 5 or 6 months old, and actually quite big? He won't even touch veg but he always looks really sad and dull.. He licked a carrot for the first time yesterday and then ran off like it was going to chase him and kill him?! Would be nice if he ate veg as it's less hassle before work!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Meal worms aren't really nutritious and their shell is real hard. I would use something like small superworms or horn worms or silk worms. But yeah, the idea is if you put them in the salad the beardie will eat some of the salad getting to the worm. Mine actually just pick around the salad to get the worms :rolleyes:

My big girl does the same thing with veggies. If you hold something up to her she stares at you with wide eyes like WTH is that??? Then she runs away and hides in the corner!

One good thing to do if you are worried about his veggie intake is to feed your crickets his salad. I've always done that with the hopes that she is still somehow getting the nutrition from the salad, even though she's not really eating it but eating something that did eat it.

Sidthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I tried mealworms today, as couldn't find any other worms, he just scratched at the salad to pick out the worms
After a few he got one mouthful of salad and now won't even eat the worms

Glad it's not only hours then! When we got him we were convinced he was a boy, and were told he was a boy, but he's starting to show more signs of being a girl now so slightly confused? But have heard girls don't really like salad too much so that might explain it..

I'll try that then! Our crickets are fed on apples and calcium anyway so hopefully! Just noticing his colour is very faint compaired to normal so was worried it was because of the veg. Thankyou☺️

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
I tried mealworms today, as couldn't find any other worms, he just scratched at the salad to pick out the worms
After a few he got one mouthful of salad and now won't even eat the worms

Glad it's not only hours then! When we got him we were convinced he was a boy, and were told he was a boy, but he's starting to show more signs of being a girl now so slightly confused? But have heard girls don't really like salad too much so that might explain it..

I'll try that then! Our crickets are fed on apples and calcium anyway so hopefully! Just noticing his colour is very faint compaired to normal so was worried it was because of the veg. Thankyou☺️
Awesome! I finally got both of mine to eat some endive and butternut squash but I had to coax them with dubia roaches by the veggies. I think if you just practice that technique they will eventually become more accustomed to the veggies.

Sidthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome! I finally got both of mine to eat some endive and butternut squash but I had to coax them with dubia roaches by the veggies. I think if you just practice that technique they will eventually become more accustomed to the veggies.
Ahaha thankyou! I've tried everything with sid, were not getting any luck I even warped a worm in lettece and he magaged to spit it back out! I'll try them. Thankyou:)

alimarsk

Bearded Dragon Egg
OscarElla like spinich and kale. She loves fruit. Mangoes, apples, and she also eats red, orange, and yellow peppers, yellow squash and zucchini. Butternut, acorn, and spaghetti squashes are really good for them.

Sidthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thankyou! Tried kale mixed with a worm and he wouldn't even eat the worms after so I take it he doesn't like that! But I'll try the others!

cbgarner2002

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm a fledgling beardie keeper myself and thus far Luna will only eat mustard greens, but not a lot of them. She will come grab a piece or two at times but I never see her go crazy for it or anything. I got some yellow squash and zucchini and she took no interest in that whatsoever. I even tried to cut it into a shape that resembled a little worm! :rolleyes:

I also read that sometimes they'll take interest depending on how the greens are presented to them. Maybe try a food processor or simply cutting them into tiny pieces or something. I'm cutting my greens up with scissors.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm a fledgling beardie keeper myself and thus far Luna will only eat mustard greens, but not a lot of them. She will come grab a piece or two at times but I never see her go crazy for it or anything. I got some yellow squash and zucchini and she took no interest in that whatsoever. I even tried to cut it into a shape that resembled a little worm! :rolleyes:

I also read that sometimes they'll take interest depending on how the greens are presented to them. Maybe try a food processor or simply cutting them into tiny pieces or something. I'm cutting my greens up with scissors.

My boy will only eat mustard greens. I tried to give him upland cress once and he literally spit it out of his mouth!

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hi; I was told by a very wise man to go to the Beautiful dragons list and see what veggs you can pick out from there-I have found over the years my beardies all liked the list. But the most common is dandilions greens,mustard, collards,and I tried squash and my girl loves it. no lettuce ect; as there is nothing in it to do any good for them. hope this helps the op.river-7

Sidthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi; I was told by a very wise man to go to the Beautiful dragons list and see what veggs you can pick out from there-I have found over the years my beardies all liked the list. But the most common is dandilions greens,mustard, collards,and I tried squash and my girl loves it. no lettuce ect; as there is nothing in it to do any good for them. hope this helps the op.river-7
Thankyou. He likes broccoli and carrot, and celery. Going to try him with plants soon.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Make sure to check the list for plants-Celery is the same as lettuce, and carrot should be given as a treat 1-a month or less. too much vitamin A hope this helps-river7

Latest posts