• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Safer Enclosure for an old Dragon?

RexDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

My dragon is almost 12 years old in July, and he's been having more troubles getting around with age. Although he seems to still have full range of motion, he tends to stumble around and/or miss his mark a bit more than he used to. I've seen him stumble and fall off his basking logs a couple of times (which aren't even difficult to climb- they're just short, stout logs of driftwood that he can climb or sit on. One has a 'ramp'-like shape that should make it easy for him to get up and down, and USUALLY it is...

BUT, the couple of times when he's fallen, he's slipped over onto his side or back and struggled to get back up. These have been very frightening and I'm sure they put a lot of stress on his poor old heart. It almost makes me inclined to try and take any higher altitudes out of the enclosure entirely, but I don't want to leave him without any way to get closer to his favorite basking spot. He also seems to have troubmes backing out of spaces he's gotten himself wedged into (which he's always had a talent for doing) without help.

Have any of you had an older dragon or a dragon with special needs that you needed to make an adapted enclosure for? If so, how did you accident-proof the enclosure?

Latest posts