• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Safe to feed meal worms all must read

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay can someone please clear this up for me because I'm tired of people saying that bearded dragons shouldn't eat meal worms when they are young due to impaction. Now first off i know this is false because my baby bearded when I first got him stopped eating crix so and the only thing he would eat was meal worms and I know they don't have alot of protein and the meat to shell ratio blah blah. But people please stop scaring us Newbies with the IMPACTION word because when you are new to lizards or snake the IMPACTION scares us. I believe that beardies can eat meal worms just not as a staple maybe as a treat.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Anytime I use the word "impaction", like say with mealworms or sand, I make sure to say that it's a possibility and that it is not for certain. I tell people that there is a risk of it being able to happen. I say not to use them because I just don't want the chance of anything bad happening to my beardies, or anyone elses beardies too. I really don't see a reason to feed anything with a risk of causing any kind of harm when there are other options that are safer and healthier. That's great that your not having any problems with mealworms and I hope that it stays that way. But I have heard of some beardies that have been impacted by mealworms.

Impaction is a scary subject. Any chance that I can tell someone that there is a risk that what they are doing or feeding could possibly cause harm them then I will. But I'm not going to say "OMG, that one mealworm that your beardie just ate is going to impact it and will kill it! Take it to the vet now!!!", lol ;)

I just wanted to share my opinion :cool:

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok say your feeding mealworms and your temps take a dip due to weather or a blown bulb or whatever. NOW your animal is in serious trouble because without the heat there is too much shell. That is why we tell newbs to just avoid it. Besides most people in general dont listen anyway do whatever and a few months later it's a situation of how do I help my dragon live. I have done the necropsies on dragons that died from impactation caused by mealworms. so please dont start saying the warnings are false.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
listen to Tom. he knows what he's talking about. all insects have some sort of shell to be digested but of all insects, mealworms pose the greatest risk of impaction so most people just stay away from them. in any case, make sure your dragon stays well hydrated and gets their fiber wether it be from greens or from you giving them something like critical care. got to keep those dragon poops a coming.:rolleyes:

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've seen both juveniles & adults regurgitate mealworms. We're not trying 2 scare any1 but we feel that u as members should b warned on certain issues. Ultimately, it's up 2 u as responsible owners 2 use your better judgement during the duration of dragons life 2 provide proper care & treatment.

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a question about mealworms vs superworms. Both appear to have the same make up with superworms just being slightly larger. Why is it that mealworms are known to cause impaction but no mention of this being an issue with superworms?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
if thats the case i will never feed supers either because all they are are big mealworms you can't find supers in the wild can you? i believe they are sprayed with a chemical so they can't molt into beatles?
Mealworms shell is harder than that of a superworm.

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks Jeff - I always wondered what the difference was since they look so much alike. And Spike - the superworms will not change into a beetle unless they run out of food. You can change them into a beetle by putting them in a small container with no food and placing them in a warm dark place. It takes a couple weeks for them to turn into a cacoon and about another week before emerging as a beetle.

Pixel

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I breed mealworms for my gliders, they should be completely safe if they have shed and are still white and soft, correct? I always have a handful of white ones in my bins.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks Jeff - I always wondered what the difference was since they look so much alike.

Mealworms and Superworms are 2 totally different types of worms

Mealworms
Mealies are - Tenebrio molitor species, they can be refrigerated to make them last longer, hard undigestable chittin shell. Mealworms are the larvae of the meal beetle.
Ca : P 1:25
Protein 20.3%
Fat 12.7%
Fiber 1.7%
Water 62%

Superworms
Supers are - Zophobas Morio species, they can not be refrigerated, softer digestable shell.
These larger mealworms are the larvae of the Zophobas morio Ground beetle from central and south America
Ca : P 1:18
Protein 19.06%
Fat 14.19%
Fiber 6.8%
Water 61.92%

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i fed mine meal worms but i cut it up into bite size pieces for him so he wouldnt choke on it or anything​

You do realise that mealworms dont really have nutritional value, even cut up. Their meat to shell ratio is more shell than meat which is another reason its better to feed other feeders which contain more meat / protein and less exosceleton

For example..... 1 roach is equal to approx 2.5 crickets and 1 superworm is equal to approx 1.5 crickets

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
im currently breeding two types of roaches dubias and blabarus parabolus. dubias are your standard staple roach feeder but the parabolus are a larger type of discoids and breed faster and they will be for my beardie when he is an adult and for my tegu

Latest posts