• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

roaches

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i really would like to start a roach colony... I know it would save me a lot of money. The problem is that my hubby is "creeped out" by the idea of having roaches in the house... Are there any other feeders that i can raise that are somewhat easy to keep alive. I'm spending a fortune on crickets at the pet store ($.10 a piece) Or anyone have any ideas on how to convince my hubby to let me get the roaches?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
there are some roaches that dont look as "roachy" as others...so you can order just a couple roaches to show your husband and let him see that they arent that bad and reassure him that they cannot infest your home and also show him in numbers how much money you will save if you had your own colony...i prefer the turkestan roaches but many others like the dubia

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardielover17 said:
see i find them more disgusting to me

Really? I was ok with them because they were thin and flat...they reminded me of those bugs..I call armadillo bugs. The ones that if you touch them the roll up into a ball. It may have been my mind playing tricks on me so that I would be more accepting and do the right thing for my new baby. LOL!!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol main thing that convinced me on roaches was the money id save in the long run

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yay I convinced him. But on one condition.. I do all the feeding. which I do most of anyway. Where's the best place to get a starter kit from? And what sizes do I need to get for YoYo who's about 2 months old

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
if you are going with dubias i suggest blaberus.com or theroachguy.com or thefeederstore.com
if you are looking for turks you can find awesome deals on them on kingsnake.com
and nymphs would be the perfect size for yoyo
so if you want to breed your own i would suggest purchasing
500 nymphs and then 500 mixed (the mixed will have some that are already at or almost at adulthood.)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
now its not cheap to start up but with those numbers it will be self sustaining
good thing with the roach guys kits is they come with adults
its 85 bux for the 500 mixed but comes with 10+ adults
and then like 40 for the 500 nymphs
(thats a lot cheaper than it cost me to setup my colony few years ago lol)

Latest posts