• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roaches for feeders?

Maize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I know Dubias are great and soft, are their any other roaches that are good for them to eat?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maize said:
I know Dubias are great and soft, are their any other roaches that are good for them to eat?

Lobsters (don't recommend as they can climb anything....including clean glass), Turkish, Hissers, and probably some others I'm forgetting. However, Dubias are, by far, the favored among a lot of herpers. Can't climb smooth surfaces, very little smell and easy to care for. Plus, juvies are just about the right size for most any adult/sub adult dragon to eat. The adult Dubias could be a bit big for some as they do tend to get about 2 to 2-1/4 inches in length.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Discoids are another kind as well as banana roaches but they are impossible to find...i found them once at the last reptile show

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
Discoids are another kind as well as banana roaches but they are impossible to find...i found them once at the last reptile show

Ah....forgot about discoids.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
most people forget them since hardly anyone uses them lol i only remembered because i was just reading a post on them elsewhere

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I say why worry about the other kinds, go with dubia! my girls are so bat-**** crazy over those things I cant imagine using anything else

Maize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alright I will get some Dubias. Can anyone tell me the best place too go?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Theroachguy.com
Thatfeederplace.com

Both are on the east coast.
Hi yourself stranger ! lol
Janie

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'd recommend the roach guy (thanks janie). He ships on mondays only, but its fast, he uses shipping tracking, and he's a nice guy. And I'm pretty sure he gave me more than I bought.

Maize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just checked him out, looks like he has free shipping too!

Thanks Janie!

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks! I was just getting ready to add a new topic- Where to order roaches?- but again another question answered. Yes I finally broke down and got some roaches, they actually look like bigger rollie polies. I love to see them flip to their back and not be able to roll over.
How many should I feed beardie, he's only about 5 months old.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thats what I thought when I saw them sra lol. At that age they can probably eat a LOT of them in one day, at least 20 I would think. I feed my girls the medium sized ones and they eat more than that, and they're around 9 months old

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
srabeardie said:
How many should I feed beardie, he's only about 5 months old.

I believe the rule is "as many as he can eat in 10 to 15 minutes". It's been a while since I've had a juvie, though, so somebody could come along and correct me. Just make sure they're no bigger than the space between his eyes.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, so I will buy him some more. The guy at the shop-yea I know-told me that they only eat about 3-4 a day! So I think I have been starving my fella the past two days without knowing it. He has had collards to go along with them though. Also he has not pooped since I switched him to roaches, could he be holding onto his food internally because he is not being fed enough? Help! It's been since Sunday-no poop and he is not basking a lot-just sitting under his tree branch a lot.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
whoa, no no no. that certainly is way too few. I'm sure if he gets a good sized meal and maybe a warm bath he will poo with no problem.

Latest posts