• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

roach colony

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I recently bought some roaches from the roach guy. I got 300 mix 20 adult females and 10 males. How many roaches is considered a substantial colony for my 2 dragons and 3 gex? Can I feed off of what I have or do I wait until the colony grows? When I do feed them off which ones do I feed?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
if you are wanting to start feeding straight away id seperate things out. Put the 10 males/20 females in a breeding tub and keep the 300 mixed seperated for feeding. But in my opinion you shouldnt feed off your colony until you are sitting at around 750-1000 that way they can reproduce quickly enough to cover what you are feeding off.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
about how long( i know it depends on temps and food) but a rough guess at how long it takes to get that many

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was advised that if you want your roaches to breed quickly, give them sliced oranges (organic, of course, with no pesticides, as pesticides will kill them) and high protein cat food (we use one by Solid Gold). Make sure not to let any of your veggies or fruits cause mold, because that will also kill them. And, keep the temps up. They breed faster when the temps are higher, and if at some point you want to slow their breeding, you can bring the temps down a bit, and it should slow them down.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
2 to 3 months you should have a viable renewing colony to feed from..... unless you have juvie dragons... adults... yeah, 2-3 months should see you straight.
Janie

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
YoYo's a juvie. I'll continue buying crickets for a couple of months then. I give the roaches fresh veggies every morning and oranges too. i'm also feeding them baby cereal until my roach chow gets here

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh my! All this talk about roaches is making me faint! :p
Forgive me, I'm still a newbie. I did however buy beardie some meal worms today

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
mealworms are not good for dragons. Their hard shell is hard for them to break down and they have more shell than meat.

Latest posts