• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roach care....

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I want to order roaches from The Roach Guy..I don't want to breed or set up a colony..I just want to keep a bunch as feeders.

Anything special I need to know..I was going to do silkworms but I don't have time with all my critters to keep up on worm care DAILY. Are the dubai's easy to care for? I'm thinking a rubbermaid tote..water crystal, roach chow. Anything I should know?

I bought dubai's someplace for $7.99 for a dozen. Which was completely ridiculous but we tried them. Sedona loves them so I thought I just buy a large quantity and feed to Sedona and my leo's.

Help appreciated.
Chris

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
TheWolfmanTom said:
If you set up a colony your pooper will love you forever.

I'll definitely feed them to Sedona..I'll just keep ordering to replenish vs doing my own colony. Are they easy to care for?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes they are. I use 3 16 gallon sterlite containers, with 7-8 egg crates on half the foot print, the empty space is where I place the greens, chow and water source, as well as the 1/2 orange .
Janie.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Do you put a mesh opening for air like the Roach guy suggests or since it's just a feeding colony can I just punch a couple of holes in the top?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The cost of constant replenishment is steep. The roaches will breed on thier on. If your going thru the trouble of keeping them you may as well go the last yard.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine are all lidless. The bins I use are rather smooth so no climbing to escape ;)
Janie.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dubia's dont climb or fly so you wont have any issue keeping them in. I use 10 gallon aquariums i have 1 for my dubia colony and one for my turk colony (turks are way nastier looking than dubias you need a strong stomach for them lol). Just have some egg crates setup some water crystals a good foodsource and some heat. They will be breeding in no time.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok..you guys have convinced me. Once I move my leos over to their 20 gallon longs...I'll use their old tank for the dubai's (who would have thought in my LIFETIME I would be raising ROACHES!!..I hate that word!)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
trust me i understand. people are always super interested in my dragon collection right up to the point where i tell them i have around 3000 roaches in my home ON PURPOSE lol

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
LOL..you had to see my sister and niece when they got in my car one day and heard something moving in the container in a bag. They know me and were afraid to ask..when they did they almost jumped out of the car on the highway. For some odd reason..when their so freaked out I'm calm..I guess I like the shock value...ROTFLMAO. My sister thinks I've flipped.

I'm off to order from the roach guy! I think I'm going to forget about the silkworms. Too much work. I work 6 days a week until September then I go to 7..with 5 dogs, 3 ferrets, 3 leos and 1 beardie..oh and a husband I don't need to give myself more work for a feeder.

Thanks for your help!!

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think everyone would immediately move out of the house if I brought home roaches; as it is the crickets are pushing the limit - lol.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok..I'm going for it. I bought to 16 gallon containers today. My husband figures if we build a colony we can always see if customers want them. We have a pet supply store but we don't sell animals, crickets and wax worms only. Fingers crossed I can handle it..LOL!!

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
D00UUBLEB said:
I think everyone would immediately move out of the house if I brought home roaches; as it is the crickets are pushing the limit - lol.

Same for my house !!!

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
LOL...the only reason I can even think about them in the house is because I'm calling them Dubbies.