• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RI or normal?

Abyss2680

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I recently got a baby bearded dragon, today he puffed up his beard a couple times after eating like he was having troubles with either swallowing or breathing. I didnt hear any noise or anything when he did it so im not sure if its a normal thing or not? He ate like 12 crickets and greens so i dont see a difference in eating habits. Any help is appreciated.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is he active? Is his mouth gaping like he can’t breathe? Not an expert, but it doesn’t sound like URI. No wheezing, and his is eating good.

Is your baby getting ready to shed perhaps? I notice my guy will puff out his beard like that when he’s getting ready to shed to help loosen up skin. Almost like a bull frog croaking without sound. Freaked me out the first time I saw him do it, but now he’ll do it every time.

Abyss2680

Bearded Dragon Egg
He also puffed his eyes out so he might be getting ready to shed. I'm not too sure. Hes been running about after the crickets so i think hes pretty active still. Hopefully im freaking out about nothing

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He also puffed his eyes out so he might be getting ready to shed. I'm not too sure. Hes been running about after the crickets so i think hes pretty active still. Hopefully im freaking out about nothing
Yeah, that sounds like he might be getting ready to shed. The bulging eye thing is something my guy will do once in a while in relation to shedding. Totally messes with you when they do it. I thought my guys eyes were gonna pop out the first time I saw it. Gave me a heart attack. lol

Keep an eye on him. If he stops eating, become lethargic, starts wheezing, develops discharge from his nose or mouth than yup it's probably URI and you should get him to your vet. Have your humidity levels been normal?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Theyre in the low 20s high 10s.
Hmmm . . . your humidity might be a little low. I'm told perfect is between 20-30%. Don't think having humidity too low will result in URI though, so I think he's getting ready to shed. My thought, but I'm not an expert. Info just based on what I've read here and what my guy does. You will probably know in a day or so if it's shed. Once my guy starts puffing and bulging than shed is not far behind.

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Low humidity can cause issues with shedding. It is high humidity that causes URI's from what I read in articles about BD's.
My Zontar would puff his beard after eating and "regurgitate" if that was what it was. He would do this upon waking in the morning. Like he would get a snack before snack. It was gross actually lol

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Low humidity can cause issues with shedding. It is high humidity that causes URI's from what I read in articles about BD's.
My Zontar would puff his beard after eating and "regurgitate" if that was what it was. He would do this upon waking in the morning. Like he would get a snack before snack. It was gross actually lol
Yeah, I tend to give Dex baths more often when he's shedding. Seems to help loosen it up and his sheds go faster.

Hahahaha I've been told they do that. Dex may have done it once. I'm not sure if it was shed bearding or what I call cud chewing (like a cow does when they regurgitate their food). And yeah, eeewwwww.

"get a snack before snack" roflrn

Abyss2680

Bearded Dragon Egg
He did it again after he caught one of the crickets that didnt get ate the first time so i think hes just regurgitating or however to get it to go down more comfortably. There isnt any mucus or anything going on

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
The low humidity could cause issues with stuck shed, but since you give him baths during shedding it should be ok. Just keep an eye out for areas where shed doesn’t come off (toes, tip of tail, around eyes, etc.) there are quite a few good YouTube videos about spotting and dealing with stuck shed.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The low humidity could cause issues with stuck shed, but since you give him baths during shedding it should be ok. Just keep an eye out for areas where shed doesn’t come off (toes, tip of tail, around eyes, etc.) there are quite a few good YouTube videos about spotting and dealing with stuck shed.
Dex's tough area is his tail. It's always the first to start and last to finish. Sigh. Good news is he hasn't shed in a bit now that he's reaching adulthood. Poor guy is always a bit miserable and a cranky pants during his sheds.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hello, I recently got a baby bearded dragon, today he puffed up his beard a couple times after eating like he was having troubles with either swallowing or breathing. I didnt hear any noise or anything when he did it so im not sure if its a normal thing or not? He ate like 12 crickets and greens so i dont see a difference in eating habits. Any help is appreciated.
If his chin is like... throbbing i guess you could say? I know what you mean. It just impulsively puffs in and out but not full blown puffing when eating mine does it too. I don't know what it is my vet never said anything about it was wrong or bad. As long as he isn't black bearding, slowing down, not eating, throwing it up, poops look good etc.