• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Responding to name

luke.bowthorpe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I was wondering if beardies will eventually respond to their name. Mine doesn't yet but does anyone else's beardie respond to their name?

undeadsoldier988

Hatchling Dragon
Actually... I just got mine about a little over a week ago, and when I come in the room and say "Hi Lizzie Dragon, she looks up at me and stares. Sometimes she will even come if I put my hand in the tank and flatten it out nd say "come on lizzie" so I think they can actually learn voice patterns and names. Very very smart lizards.

undeadsoldier988

Hatchling Dragon
uploadfromtaptalk1391447435633.jpg

Mudgett

Bearded Dragon Egg
I like to say my beardie's full name in a kind of sing-song voice: "Robert-aaa Coop-er!". Every time I do it she kind of stops what she's doing and kind of cocks her head to one side to look at me. I'm not sure if it's because she recognizes her name or just because she thinks I'm an idiot, but it's cute all the same!!

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
IMO I think they respond to individuals' voices and the sylabals or (phonetics? ) of certain words but as far as training them to behave a certain way to different words I don't think so. If they associate your voice with warmth, gentle hands, food, getting to explore and have fun, getting to go outside etc. all good things of course they'll come to you ;) If you call this training, then that's cool... I just call it making friends :) Even this level of recognition displays their intelligence.

luke.bowthorpe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Think this is quite interesting. Rheagal does recognise me and my wife just working on the name bit. Sometime he does look my way when I call him and sometimes he doesn't. But I have always thought they were v smart lizards from when we first got him.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Saffron looks at me a lot when I say words a certain way. Like her name Saaaaa -(higher pitch to my voice) froooon (lower pitch). I draw out the two syllables. Also I say it in a soft soothing way. If I say her name differently, she doesn't look at me at all. Smart little critters eh? ;)

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
I'm not sure that my dragons recognise their names or my voice but they are certainly curious when i'm around. Sheldore the older male is not a fan of my husband, particularly when he's near me, its as if he wants me all to himself haha!

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
Sydney will give me looks as if she knows what im saying if I come walking in and say "hey baby girl" but then again when she's in her cage she'll stare at me until I let her out (she's ms. social butterfly) My male Ruger is the same way ravenswolf, he isnt fond of my hubby but will tolerate him if he doesnt move, the minute he does he gets a nice black beard and puffs up..makes me laugh cuz he's all show

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
Lol yes, ofcourse head bobbing, puffed up all macho like (its even funnier cuz my hubby is wary of them to begin with since he's never been around "pet" lizards before so he'll get freaked out which just helps feed Rugers macho-ness). If theyre sitting on the couch together theyre fine, the minute I sit down he acts that way...I find it cute

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I think they relate to the voice and not what ur sayin. My BD Diego is only 5 nearly 6 month n ive had him just 2 weeks. He comes to his glass every time I walk past. His viv is in the hall so we do have to walk past gim to get from room to room but he does respond to voices.

Latest posts