• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rescued abandoned beardie at ball field - he's doing great!

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am no expert with Bearded Dragons. I just learn from what I read in the various forums and Internet articles. The reason the setup is so important for these type of bulbs is because the UVB comes out more concentrated than a florescent tube. Given this if the setup is wrong your Bearded Dragon will be exposed to a much higher concentration of UVB which can burn their eyes and make them lethargic and sick. I had a Zilla compact coil bulb in my starter set which I quickly threw out after doing some research. I can't speak for the bulb you have and value the other opinions. I just don't know what the benefits of this type of bulb is over the Reptisun 10.0 florescent bulb is which is by far the most recommended bulb to use.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So say that i stick with the 10.0 UVB Compact Flourescent - and set it up properly - - how would you "know" that it was causing a problem?
This is one of the main issues that can arise from any UVB bulb, no matter what style & what to watch for ...
What is photo-kerato-conjunctivitis?

caseAM-bluetongue1.jpg
This is a painful eye condition caused by excessive exposure to UV radiation.

It is exactly the same as "snow blindness" in skiers, from excessive UV reflected from snow, and "arc welder's flash" experienced by people working with metal welding equipment, who have not worn protective glasses. It is very painful - like having sand in your eyes - and it is caused by damage to the delicate transparent cells on the surface of the eye (the cornea) and the lining of the eyelids. Fortunately, only the superficial layers of the eye are affected; the lens and retina are not damaged (the UVB does not reach the deep structures of the eye) and so it does not cause permanent blindness.

The pain is protective (it makes sufferers close their eyes) and healing begins at once, when the harmful UV light is removed. Unless there have been serious burns, the eyes heal remarkably quickly. The damaged cells are replaced within days and the pain disappears.

Most cases open their eyes again within 2 - 3 days and all symptoms are gone within a week or so, with no medication being necessary. If there has been skin damage to the eyelids this may take a little longer and veterinary examination is essential in case the damaged skin has become infected. We have heard reports of some cases with a sticky discharge from the eye and/or peeling of the skin around the eyelids.

Read More: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

This is where all the "hoopla" about compacts stems from, interestingly enough, it is the ZooMed Repti-Sun Fluorescent Compact found to be faulty. These issues have long since been rectified, but the stereotype has remained, because of people reading & repeating old, obsolete results.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm

uvguide.co.uk used to be THE place to go for detailed info on UV lighting for reptiles (Kind of our watchdog over UVB manufacturers & their products) & Frances Baines (UVGuide Administrator) is responsible for many of the safety changes incorporated into the bulbs we use today. Manufacturers would send her their products for final testing & OK. I am unsure how true it is, but through the grapevine I have heard that Frances may have become seriously ill & this is why the website has not been updated for quite some time. A shame too, it was a great place to get the real answers when it came to UV issues.

@Ron G Proper Setup is important with ANY type of UVB bulb & for all the same reasons.

Last edited:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Back to the OP: @MichelleGordon - It is very possible that this is an escaped BD & not necessarily an abandoned one. There is very real possibility that there is someone out there, missing their beloved pet, as it sounds like it was in good shape & quite socialized.

I know that if for some reason, one of mine accidentally got loose & someone found it, I would definitely appreciate the finder posting the find on local bulletin boards or in the local newspapers' lost & found sections.

Latest posts