• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rescue Story

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm reminded of a situation I had over 10 years ago. Don't remember how long ago, memory is fuzzy at times.

Anyway, I had neighbor who had a dog. A cute and friendly mutt. My 3 dogs loved playing and running back and forth with this dog. After this neighbor had been there for a couple of months, her 2 year old dog had puppies. Cute as can be. Casey, the dog, was impregnated by another neighborhood dog. Not mine, mind you. My 2 males were fixed.

So, the neighbor found homes for the puppies. A couple of months went by and Casey had puppies again. The neighbor decided to keep one of the puppies. The other did not make it. During this second litter, my neighbor had a premature baby. Casey and puppy were outdoors at all times, even in the rain and cold.

This was eating me up. I would discuss things with my neighbor and the husband was blamed. I did have reason to believe she may have been abused.

One day I came home from work and 'puppy' was laying in the middle of the yard shivering. It was misting out. I talked my neighbor into letting me take puppy to the emergency vet. Puppy had parvo, an extremely deadly disease for dogs.

When I called my neighbor with the results, she was giving consent to put puppy down. I couldn't stand it. To take a life without giving it a chance at treatment? I was able to convince the neighbor to give it a shot.

Puppy stayed at the emergency vets overnight and I transported her to my lifelong vet. He did not have much hope that puppy would make it.

After a week a the vet's puppy joined me and my family for care. I was able to nurse puppy back to health. I found puppy and Casey a good home with a young couple moving out to the country. They had tons of room to run and play.

I worked very hard to get Casey and puppy out of their situation. I know you win some and you loose some, but I thought I would share the story with everyone.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
wonderful story Renee. i know how it feels to have a neighbor that can not take care of their animals. Luckily for me my neighbors decided on their own they didnt want dogs any longer and gave them to my other neighbor who takes great care of them.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It truly is amazing at the number of folks out there who don't care for their animals. When we moved to our current home, there was a large dog in a large crate outdoors a lot. We moved in the month of January. It was cold, snowing, etc.

My dog sitter pretty much told me if I didn't do something, she would report it. I was like, go ahead report it. We just moved in. Turns out the people moved and had the dog out when it was showed. Not an excuse, but I like to think they are taking good care of it wherever they went.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thing that erks me the most is when people use the its an animal excuse. Saying that if he were wild he wouldnt be indoors. They dont understand that its a domesticated animal and not setup that way. When we take an animal under our care we are making a pact with that animal that we wont let anything happen to them. Leaving a dog chained outside overnight in 20 degree winter weather is not taking care of your animal. As i have said before. Its funny that people sometimes wonder why i prefer animals to humans lol.

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
;D nice, we had a problem with our neighbors too, the dog was never let out of it's cage and never had anytime to go to the bathroom they just dragged it along for a walk. it was so sad to see this, lucky she moved away and the dog was with someone else...its sad when people have no heart for any animal....some people just shouldn't own em'

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee, As animal lovers I think we can all relate to this and appreciate a rescue story with a happy ending. Too often these situations don't end well. I'm glad you were able to intervene when you did. You have a good heart and you made a huge difference. I think thats awesome!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
too many of those stories in my past.. Comes with being the daughter of a Vet... ;)
Janie
Though.. I loooove happy endings ! Don't you ?

Latest posts