• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rescue Beardie

TerryR

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was given a young Bearded Dragon by a friend. He's probably just a little over a year old. He was rescued by my friend when a person came into the pet store and threatened to turn him lose in the parking lot. He has never been given fruits/vegs before and needless to say, he won't eat them. He has superworms dusted with cal/D3, but it's hard to get him to eagerly eat. I purchased some Repashy Beardie Buffet and I'll try that today. He doesn't walk as I recall my previous dragons doing, rather he "crawls on his belly like a reptile". I take him out of his tank (20L for now) to make him walk on the carpet. I'm not sure if there is just a lack of muscle or what. He came to me with a ceramic heater and a UVB bulb. I bought a new UVB bulb and a basking light. He immediately went to where the basking light is and hasn't moved much since then (yesterday). I'm working on getting the basking bulb at the right height for him. He always seems alert to what's going on around him. When I hold him against my chest to sit and watch TV, he closes his eyes and takes a nap. I guess that's what he's doing, anyway, as he doesn't struggle.
Sorry for the long diatribe! Any words of wisdom are welcome!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was given a young Bearded Dragon by a friend. He's probably just a little over a year old. He was rescued by my friend when a person came into the pet store and threatened to turn him lose in the parking lot. He has never been given fruits/vegs before and needless to say, he won't eat them. He has superworms dusted with cal/D3, but it's hard to get him to eagerly eat. I purchased some Repashy Beardie Buffet and I'll try that today. He doesn't walk as I recall my previous dragons doing, rather he "crawls on his belly like a reptile". I take him out of his tank (20L for now) to make him walk on the carpet. I'm not sure if there is just a lack of muscle or what. He came to me with a ceramic heater and a UVB bulb. I bought a new UVB bulb and a basking light. He immediately went to where the basking light is and hasn't moved much since then (yesterday). I'm working on getting the basking bulb at the right height for him. He always seems alert to what's going on around him. When I hold him against my chest to sit and watch TV, he closes his eyes and takes a nap. I guess that's what he's doing, anyway, as he doesn't struggle.
Sorry for the long diatribe! Any words of wisdom are welcome!
Please tell me what you using for a UVB -- it sounds like the dragon has MBD if hes not walking like he should -- incorrect UVB is the cause --- you want surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- these things are a must for dragons-- NO coils for a UVB they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues I will post what you need if you need more help w/ it --- he would of never survived in the parking lot and I cant beleive someone would do that!!

TerryR

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Please tell me what you using for a UVB -- it sounds like the dragon has MBD if hes not walking like he should -- incorrect UVB is the cause --- you want surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- these things are a must for dragons-- NO coils for a UVB they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues I will post what you need if you need more help w/ it --- he would of never survived in the parking lot and I cant beleive someone would do that!!
Yes, I purchased the coil UVB, Exo Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 Compact Desert Terrarium Lamp. I had replaced the coil that he came with, not knowing how old the bulb was. What should I have gotten?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I purchased the coil UVB, Exo Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 Compact Desert Terrarium Lamp. I had replaced the coil that he came with, not knowing how old the bulb was. What should I have gotten?
A long tube fixture zoo med 24" w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 - or Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - replace ASAP see if we can get him walking again- Arcadias are being carried in PetSmart the 24" zoo meds are mostly found on line look at pangeareptiles good on shipping

TerryR

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
A long tube fixture zoo med 24" w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 - or Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - replace ASAP see if we can get him walking again- Arcadias are being carried in PetSmart the 24" zoo meds are mostly found on line look at pangeareptiles good on shipping
I've ordered the zoo med 24" w/ a reptisun 10.0 T5. Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've ordered the zoo med 24" w/ a reptisun 10.0 T5. Thanks!
Good please let me know when it comes in I will help you place it for your tank- your screen will depend on placement and distance but I think I am going to have you get it either in the tank or screen off- in the meantime get him outside for good uvb - 30 min or so direct sun but you must keep an eye on heat you don't want to over heat him you can have him sit on you do not leave him - how are you getting basking temps? The solar glo is going to be good for heat not so much uvb-