• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

reptisun 10.0

ewood810

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
How far do these uvb rays travel?? Meaning I have a 55gal viv that is 13 inches wide so it is tall and I am hoping that the uvb will hit the bottom of the viv. Its not for a beardie since its a little to narrow but..... If any one knows this I would appreciate it.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The recommended distance for use is 6-8" away from the dragon's highest basking spot. I used the sun over a 55 with a screen top for Orion when he was little... I just made sure that the item for basking got close enough, yet not too close
Janie

ewood810

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh ok so as long as I put his basking spot close enough then he will be good, I am trying to find drift wood and stuff for him right now, so he will have plenty of stuff to hang out on. Thanks I was afraid I just waisted my money on that light.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Actually, Janie, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. That is the distance for older UV bulbs, but the ReptiSun 10.0 tub is great cuz it can reach longer distances. Here's a qote from Zoomed's site related to the 10.0 tube:

'Emits UVB a full 20"/51cm from the surface of the lamp to prevent or reverse metabolic bone disease. (Compared to 12"/30cm on the ReptiSun 5.0). Optimal for use with larger terrariums where greater than 12" of UVB penetration is needed. The ReptiSun 10.0 is also recommended for use above screen covers which can filter out up to 50% of the UVB wavelengths.'

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
These are general statements from the company. If you check the testing out on this bulb and others (i dont remember the site but im sure janie has it) it showed that the level of output dropped considerably past the 8-10 inch mark. And due to the high levels that beardies need the 6-8" distance is what is suggested the most for that bulb.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Forgive me for having a brain fart, but that site is a bit hard on the eyes and difficult to follow. Do you mind spelling out where exactly in this site it lists the tests performed on the ReptiSun 10.0?

I'm not doubting the research, but the main page has not been updated since 2006.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I cant open it from work sorry.

I do know that there were tests ran on the reptisun 10 that is where the distances that are currently suggested came from. If someone doesnt beat me to it ill try to search it out for you later this evening.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you look at the graphs, the reptisun 10.0 is in yellow. The second graph shows the out put the best... DOn't worry, Renee... I had to puzzle over those myself for months before I figured them out ;)
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Janie, what graph? The link you provided is just a bunch of more links..... ???

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not doubting that there is not any truth to the study performed. But I do need to point out that the study was performed over 5 years ago. I'm sure things have changed in that timeframe as far as the manufacturing these lights go.

For example, the study states that
'# Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB ...
Specified output: up to 15% UVA : 10% UVB

Today, Zoo Med states that the Reptisun 10.0 has
'10% UVB
30% UVA'

And that is my 2 cents. ;)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee you also have to realize that this was an independent study based on numbers from a large number of test bulbs. Zoo meds numbers are just like any other big company. They show the utmost best possible output of something as it makes their sales better. they didnt change the information on their MVB when they changed up how it was designed and it started damn near killing animals. Because they wanted to sell a cheaper made bulb for the same price.

Latest posts