• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ReptiSun 10.0 light fixture help?

Riolu2012

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've been trying to find a light fixture for the ReptiSun 10.0 for quite awhile now with little luck, it must be able to be attached inside the tank, like in this video:
The reason it needs to be inside is because the tank lid is made of two wood rectangles, they both have two circles cut in with mesh for the light domes, i slide one to the side to open the tank. So I have no way to put an over the tank light fixture on. I tried a regular flat metal tank top, but then the bulbs aren't secured on, so I worried they'd slide off if the cat tried to climb on the lid, and that'd be a fire hazard.
So i was wondering if anyone was able to link me a light fixture that will work for my tank, it's a 55 gallon long, so the light fixture will need to be 24", i have the command strips, and plan to order the reptisun tube later, just cant find a light fixture that will work anywhere, I thought i found one that would work online, but it ended up being a direct wire fixture. (Meaning it doesn't have an outlet plug.)
Added a picture of the lid if you aren't sure what i meant.

Attachments

• 0901181942.jpg
    0901181942.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I dont know about the fixture in the video, but those t10 tubes are a pretty standard size. You can buy fixtures the right size from walmart so I'm told, but they dont come with the fancy reflector (i think, never actually been in a walmart). I think the kind used for aquariums are the same size too, they usually have a seperate ballast. Just make sure the wattage is enough for your tube.
Sorry ,doesnt actually answer your question ,but gives you another direction to look.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I dont know about the fixture in the video, but those t10 tubes are a pretty standard size. You can buy fixtures the right size from walmart so I'm told, but they dont come with the fancy reflector (i think, never actually been in a walmart). I think the kind used for aquariums are the same size too, they usually have a seperate ballast. Just make sure the wattage is enough for your tube.
Sorry ,doesnt actually answer your question ,but gives you another direction to look.

The T5 10.0 bulbs are very narrow so the metal end posts are very close together..I would look at petmountain.com they have the fixtures or drsfostersmith they should have them too.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah, thats not a t5 in the video, t5s are slim fit. It looks like a standard fitting, but I could be wrong
my bad I was multi tasking lol and thought I was on a different post.. I guess too many tasks lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@Hdrydr31 I just found out that Dr. Foster Smiths does not sell reptile stuff any more, I'm so pissed!

Anyway, they answered your question about the lights, I just want to talk about tank size. 55g sounds like a big tank but the dimensions are too small for a bearded dragon. They need floor space that allows them lots of room to be able to turn around. A 55g is only like 13" wide and an adult bearded dragon is anywhere from 18-23" long. That means your dragon is going to spend a lot of time curled up which will cause deformity with it's bones. Just because the tank is long, doesn't mean your dragon is going to be smart enough to always sit the long way.

Riolu2012

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
@Hdrydr31 I just found out that Dr. Foster Smiths does not sell reptile stuff any more, I'm so pissed!

Anyway, they answered your question about the lights, I just want to talk about tank size. 55g sounds like a big tank but the dimensions are too small for a bearded dragon. They need floor space that allows them lots of room to be able to turn around. A 55g is only like 13" wide and an adult bearded dragon is anywhere from 18-23" long. That means your dragon is going to spend a lot of time curled up which will cause deformity with it's bones. Just because the tank is long, doesn't mean your dragon is going to be smart enough to always sit the long way.

Thank you for the help @Hdrydr31 and @BeardedHippy , I'll have to check another walmart, the one I went to didn't have any 24" ones.

And thank you as well @PatsyB , I didn't know that, I'll look into getting him an upgrade, I've been told and 55's were ok for them, but I probably should've looked into it more. Would a 75 gallon be ok? (4ft long 2ft wide i believe) I don't have a stand for it right now, as far as i know, but it's been sitting in my father's garage for years. (I got the 55 from him when I first got Jasper.) I'll have to ask him about it first though, I'm not sure if he plans to use it for fish or not in the future
I've seen people suggest 40 gal breeders for bearded dragons as well, are those any good for beardies? Just in case my father wants to keep his 75, I've seen someone selling 40 gal breeders on craigslist while looking for fish tanks, so just thought I'd ask.
Thank you again for the help, guys! :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
40 gal breeders are the perfect minimum size because the measurement is 36x18x18. Just remember with dragons gallon size doesn't mean anything. You want the dimensions. Just always remember you want the tank a minimum of 2 times the length of an average adult dragon and as tall and wide as an average adult dragon. Average size is about 18".

Lindsey-Star Duhe

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got this one from WalMart for 10.97, removed the blacklight bulb and put in the Reptisun and made a reflector out of foil, shiny side out.

E7F83BBD-168E-4513-870C-89AECA631F01.jpeg
5C3E8FE0-C696-4421-B282-085F892A30D1.jpeg

Latest posts