• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Repti sun/Repti glo

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I bought a new uvb 2day but its a repti glo and not the repti sun i thought it was (Just saw repti and picked it up (stupid mistake i no)).

Are the repti glos bad? i mean any long term ilnesses or something?

Also about their heat lamps..... Are they also poor or?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have an 18" do I need to get a larger one. I keep it right over his basking area diagonal, so it kind of wraps around his basking light. it is kind of hard to see in this picture but can give you the idea. let me know what I should change or if it is ok.
100_0968.jpg

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally, I think the 18" is fine. However, I would like to see it a bit closer to his basking area. Do you know if his basking surface gets very warm? I prefer to use rocks as they hold heat so much better once they come up to temp. Also easier to maintain and give the beardies room to sprawl out when warming up.

I see your probe is in the general "region" of the basking area, but it really should be touching the surface to get best most accurate reading possible. I've found that the air temp can be as much as 10-15 degrees off from the temp of the basking surface. I use a digital temp gun to take my temps.....and have proven this theory with it.

Here's a pic of Frodo in his early days checking out the probe that was taped to his basking surface.

What.jpg

When I had mine in tanks, I incorporated this idea to get my fluorescent tubes closer to my beardies. I believe it's best to get the bulbs around 5 or 6 inches from the beardie for proper amount of UVB.

Granted, this pic was taken early on. I quickly learned that the light fixture needed to be dropped down a bit more and moved to the left to get the end of the bulb further away from the basking surface. If I remember right, the ends of the bulb don't produce UVB as well as the rest. Not sure if it's correct, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

FrodoLair.jpg

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The prob is just sitting there when not in use so it does not get lost, everything seems to get lost in my house for some reason. When I am taking the temp I move it to touch. He just moved to this viv 3 days ago so there is a lot of building to do, when he was in his smaller viv he was much closer to it. I am trying to get him to bask on his hide so he can stretch out but he wants no part of it and runs back to the stick. I am going to take a trip to Home Depot tomorrow and see what I can find to make a better basking spot.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
The prob is just sitting there when not in use so it does not get lost, everything seems to get lost in my house for some reason. When I am taking the temp I move it to touch. He just moved to this viv 3 days ago so there is a lot of building to do, when he was in his smaller viv he was much closer to it. I am trying to get him to bask on his hide so he can stretch out but he wants no part of it and runs back to the stick. I am going to take a trip to Home Depot tomorrow and see what I can find to make a better basking spot.

Gotcha! Hey....it's a work in progress. Right? Good luck with your venture tomorrow. Keep us posted on what you find.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it is a BIG work in progress. I have many thoughts in my head that need to move to the tank while I am working on the dresser conversion. I plan on taking a walk in the woods to find some rocks (((will bake of course))) but living on the beach things are limited here, I will have to go to the trails off the island to find things and with 2 kids and school it is hard to do. Hubby is off work Monday so I think I can get it done then and find someone to come with me, have to watch out for gators :eek:

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sandra.... Scrub off the dirt and stuff, then bake... 2 hours @ 250*F is enough...
Allow to cool, and arrange to taste !

Psssst... A nice flat not in the water, but river rock makes a great basking spot!
Hope that helps out !
Janie

Latest posts