1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Repti Shedding Aid by Zoo Med

Discussion in 'Reptile Product Reviews' started by PatsyB, Mar 4, 2014.

1. PatsyB

PatsyB Super Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Back in November Dexter went through a weird shed. The base of her tail to the middle of her tail went first, then one front leg along with her chest and her lower belly by her vent, then back leg, tip of tail other back leg. It left this big yellow area of skin in the middle of her belly. I didn't think anything of it but 3 months later she still has it. She gets baths 2 times a week, I use a soft scrub toothbrush, nothing was getting it off. Of course I worried it was yellow fungus but it didn't get any bigger and it wasn't turning black or anything else. It just looked like real thick shed skin, so I bought some Repti Shedding Aid. The first few days I tried it, I didn't really think it would work. I came home today for lunch and the skin is actually starting to come off! I wish I would have taken a picture yesterday but here is what it looks like today. You can see the skin starting to come off her left side.

IMG_5452.jpg
    Josh likes this.
  2. Luvthemanimal

Luvthemanimal Bearded Dragon Veteran

I use that stuff with my micro leather backs. They have a tough time shedding. It's pretty good stuff leaves them with a sheen almost.
    PatsyB likes this.
  3. PatsyB

Good to know other people have had success with it. I can't wait to give her a bath later to see if the skin comes off!
  4. Luvthemanimal

Use it everyday until the shed comes off. To aid in future sheds give light misting and rub it into there skin. Helps a lot.
  5. PatsyB

It came off in one whole piece right after her bath! I didn't even realize it happened. I went back in the bathroom to wash my hands and it was laying on the floor! She's a big girl, I have to share:
    IMG_5454.jpg
    Knoteb and diegothediggy like this.
  6. Josh

Josh Administrator Staff Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Wow that's pretty great! I didn't expect that when I opened this thread! Anyone know what is in this stuff?
  7. diegothediggy

diegothediggy Bearded Dragon Veteran 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Wow, that looks awsum ;)
  8. Luvthemanimal

9. PatsyB

On the bottle it says "water, solubilizing hydrotrope, glycerin, jojoba oil and vitamin E acetate in an oil base"

I really didn't expect it to come off in one piece. When she gets out of the bath she always wants to climb me. I couldn't get a good view of her belly but since nothing came off in the bath, I rubbed a little more on her and thought "wow, the bath made the skin more tight"! Then I saw the big sheet of skin!