• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reptar won't poop and idk why!

Alysha&Reptar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I'm new to this page but I am looking for help ASAP! I was given a two year old beardie about 3 weeks ago. The owners had kept him around 70-80 in his basking spot and had all the wrong lighting, also only fed him strictly kale and meal worms. I have no idea how he has made it this long. Since he has been in my care I bought a new basking bulb that gets to 110 on his rock, and have tried feeding him a variety of veggies but he will only pick out the kale and chard. I also switched to super worms and he loves them. My problem is that now I can't get him to poop. The first week I got him he didn't poop for 2 days until I gave him a bath, then it was runny. After that it was every other day but only in the tub. Now, for some reason he hasn't popped in probably 4-5 days. I have given him baths, rubbed his belly, gave him coconut water and regular water from a dropper, and also some kale zucchini and pea babyfood because I was worried he wasn't eating enough greens. He has now become less interested in all food. Even worms. I do not use sand and he is not dehydrated, I would assume. What can I do or what can it be? It is his dramatic change in environment? Should I drop the temperature? He is also about to shed I think because the base of his tale for about an Inch or two is getting really pale. Does that make a difference? I'm really worried about him and have no access to a vet that sees reptiles. Please help!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
shedding can change all sorts of things! so can a new environment. Neither of mine will poop in their viv - i have to either give them a bath or get them outside in the sun (i have a cage set up for them) And - i no longer get excited if i dont get poop for a while. once a week is normal for mine (not real big on eatin their greens, my guys) - my boy has gone as long as 3 weeks. ok - that kind of freaked me. try adding some sweet potato (cooked and mushed) - good fiber.

Alysha&Reptar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks so much! I'm not worried now. I was under the impression that if they didn't poop everyday it meant they were impacted and had to see a vet right away.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
No, they don't poop everyday. My oldest will only go when I give her a bath and my other one will go every few days. Also, the basking spot for a 3 year old only needs to be around 95.

Since he was only fed kale and now picks it out of his salad I would stop giving it to him until he starts eating other things.

There's a couple of websites that have great suggestions for greens to feed them. One is at beautifuldragons.Com and the other is through Greathouse farms. Just Google Greathouse farms and nutrition and it should pull up the info. I would insert the link but I'm on my cell phone.

I do think I remember reading that chard isn't good for them.

Alysha&Reptar

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think I read that it was spinach that wasn't good. I'm not too sure but will look it up. Thanks for the websites! He is now eating a mix of kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, and collard greens. He doesn't pick anything out and eats it all! He also pooped a couple days ago and has been doing better since I got him a new UVB. I wasn't sure if the one I was given had expired or not. Seems to have made a difference in the way he acts everyday! Thanks for the help yall. :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Glad he's doing better! Yeah, spinach is the one that is bad but it sounds like you got a good mix of greens now. The UVB makes a huge difference. Dexter used to get real lethargic and blah when the UVB needed to be changed and then when I would change it she was like a new dragon.

Alysha&Reptar

Bearded Dragon Egg
He went back to the way he was acting before. He stays in the corner away from his lights and doesn't move all day. :(

Latest posts