• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Relocation stress?

LizardOfOz

Bearded Dragon Egg
I bought a 6 month old bearded dragon 1 week ago. I don't know what his treatment has been so far but his previous owner seemed knowledgeable and his set up seemed appropriate. I think he might be suffering from relocation stress. He isn't eating much. He has had about 15 or so crickets in total. He won't touch and veg or waxworks. He has only pooed once but it seemed normal. Most worryingly he hides all day and doesn't move except to dig at the newspaper under his hide. He isn't hand shy and doesn't run away if I put my hand in to offer food or check temps etc. I have been removing his hide and placing him on his basking spot once a day he will stay for a few mins but then hides again unless I remove his cave.

I have checked the temps using a temperature probe (I know it is accurate because my partner uses it at work and it's been tested against a heat gun thing) the basking spot at around 105-110 and the cool end is about 75-80. He is in a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft wooden viv. He has a strip uvb bulb, a 100w house hold bulb, a wooden basking platform, a rock, a hammock and a cave hide. He is being kept on newspaper and vinyl. I offer crickets a couple of times a day and remove any survivors. He has veg and water on offer all day.

Should I remove the hide all day to force him into getting some heat and light?
Will he just snap out if it and decide to eat and bask one day or could he be damaged by the lack of heat and UVB?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes – it could be relocation stress. If the viv is open All the way around try covering three sides with the paper bag or a newspaper so that he feels more protected. Try offering insects other than crickets – dubias and small worms. Do you have other animals? He may be concerned about them. Small children running around? There may be more noise than he's used to or there may be less noise than he's used to. If it's too quiet leave a radio on for him. It doesn't sound like he's afraid of you he's just settling in.it can be frustrating but just keep on keeping on sounds like you're doing everything right. Welcome to the forum

LizardOfOz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for your reply.
He is in a wooden viv so no sides to cover. I've tried wax worms but he just looks at them but I haven't tried roaches so I'll give that a shot. He was in a living room with 4 kids and a dog in his old home so I'll put on a radio.

I have mice in the same room do you think they might bother him? He can't see them but I'm sure he can smell them. They are pets not feeders so there is only two.

What's your opinion on removing the hide?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't remove the hide - it's his "security" blanket.

Don't know about the mice. It's hard to say what's going on in their minds – they're all different.

You're on the right track just give it some time

LizardOfOz

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'll try and not freak out. It's so hard not to do anything when you are responsible for a little life.

Latest posts