• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehabbing my first baby, I need help +tips!

Cyanic

Hatchling Dragon
Hello! I’m new to bearded dragons and to this forum, and I’m very excited to be here!

Some background:
I work at a locally owned pet store, a small little store beside some railroad tracks. I’ve been working here for around 3 months now, and for the past month or so we’ve had this baby beardie who just hasn’t been thriving. They’ve been but in the face and leg by one of their siblings, and ended up loosing their front left leg.
I think they may have a respiratory infection, as well as possibly mouth rot. She was also kept on sand.

I finally took them home Monday, my boss gave her to me for free, and had her vet visit yesterday. Antibiotics for 10 days, dehydrated, as expected. (I’m also not sure of their gender, but you’ll hear me use she/they, and ive named her Tripod)

Now onto the main stuff!:
Tripod hasn’t had any interest in food since Monday afternoon, she had a couple crickets. I’ve been mixing up different bugs, repti-boost, a bit of pineapple/strawberry, and a pinch of bee pollen, and dripping that on her nose, so she’s taken a tiny bit of that. I’m getting some carnivore care for her asap as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else i can do for her? Or any tips for a new beardie owner? Any are appreciated!!

6E70A32E-15F7-4FF2-A662-E8613DF58626.jpeg
5C4A0640-166F-4AD0-8F55-B6D5FFEA0847.jpeg

Cyanic

Hatchling Dragon
Also wanted to add, the wounds on her face are not new, but they just won’t heal. Or at least they are very very slowly.
my he first pic was taken today, while the second one was taken around a week or two ago

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also wanted to add, the wounds on her face are not new, but they just won’t heal. Or at least they are very very slowly.
my he first pic was taken today, while the second one was taken around a week or two ago
Ok Tripod needs good lighting and good basking temps this is what is going to help him / her heal --- NO coils for a UVB basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and they should be 105-110--- next the UVB should be a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia Pro T 5 --- Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb and the Arcadia a 12% bulb --- 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank --- hes going to go thru relocation stress so he wont eat much but he should be eating something -- Tripod needs this lighting ASAP-- cannot stress this enough --- next get some raw unpasteurized honey example like Manuka but any raw unpasteurized honey will work ---- put on his face you can water it down for some consistency -- this will help promote healing --- DO NOT put any crickets in the tank w/ him they will go straight for the face --- feed in a separate container make sure the crickets are dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding along w vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- I would get him some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order large they are small and they are a great staple feeder --- put them on top of the salads as a lure to the salad bowl --- use as many as you want DO NOT DUST THEM --- they are calcium enriched -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder your going to need a bowl like this for the BSFL https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...26379553&sprefix=24"+Zoo+Med+,aps,209&sr=8-19 this will come w/a 5.0 bulb you can use it on a smaller tank like a 20 gallon or so but if your tank is 40 + gallon you want the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb 22"

Cyanic

Hatchling Dragon
Ok Tripod needs good lighting and good basking temps this is what is going to help him / her heal --- NO coils for a UVB basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and they should be 105-110--- next the UVB should be a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia Pro T 5 --- Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb and the Arcadia a 12% bulb --- 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank --- hes going to go thru relocation stress so he wont eat much but he should be eating something -- Tripod needs this lighting ASAP-- cannot stress this enough --- next get some raw unpasteurized honey example like Manuka but any raw unpasteurized honey will work ---- put on his face you can water it down for some consistency -- this will help promote healing --- DO NOT put any crickets in the tank w/ him they will go straight for the face --- feed in a separate container make sure the crickets are dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding along w vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- I would get him some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order large they are small and they are a great staple feeder --- put them on top of the salads as a lure to the salad bowl --- use as many as you want DO NOT DUST THEM --- they are calcium enriched -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder your going to need a bowl like this for the BSFL https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_19?crid=24ZJCMW12Q7C6&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+reptisun+10.0+ho+t5+uvb+lamp,+24+w,+22"+l&qid=1626379553&sprefix=24"+Zoo+Med+,aps,209&sr=8-19 this will come w/a 5.0 bulb you can use it on a smaller tank like a 20 gallon or so but if your tank is 40 + gallon you want the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb 22"
Thank you!! I own several other reptiles so I had a bunch of supplies already, and I’ve recorded her basking spot at 106-110! She’s in a 20 gallon as well.
may I ask why the Uvb shouldn’t be a coil bulb? Does it just not cover enough of the tank?

and I just got home and I picked up a couple shallow glass bowls from the thrift store,
and I guess she didn’t like her old bowl because she just ate! Only a couple crickets but that’s absolutely better than nothing. Filled the bowl up with some chopped up collards and kale, and a bit of acorn squash and a tiny bit of pineapple. Also put some crickets and mealworms dusted with Repashy calcium+ in there as well.

Maybe tonight I’ll mix her antibiotics with a bit of carnivore care, just to get some extra stuff in her.

Cyanic

Hatchling Dragon
Here’s her current setup
The heat pad is set at ~80 in case she gets cold at night
61BB285B-6CEE-44BA-BDE4-2ACA21F88EBE.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you!! I own several other reptiles so I had a bunch of supplies already, and I’ve recorded her basking spot at 106-110! She’s in a 20 gallon as well.
may I ask why the Uvb shouldn’t be a coil bulb? Does it just not cover enough of the tank?

and I just got home and I picked up a couple shallow glass bowls from the thrift store,
and I guess she didn’t like her old bowl because she just ate! Only a couple crickets but that’s absolutely better than nothing. Filled the bowl up with some chopped up collards and kale, and a bit of acorn squash and a tiny bit of pineapple. Also put some crickets and mealworms dusted with Repashy calcium+ in there as well.

Maybe tonight I’ll mix her antibiotics with a bit of carnivore care, just to get some extra stuff in her.
The coils are terrible bulbs - they cause so many health issues I can't stress enough--- invest in the zoo med 24" fixture use the 5.0 bulb on the 20 gallon tank it needs to be unobstructed w/ the basking decor 6-8 inches directly underneath- place the fixture width wise across the tank - she will not be in that tank long that 24" fixture will go right into a bigger tank--- please get this fixture ASAP-- look on amazon.com- the places I use are all out of that fixture-- what uvb are you using now?

Cyanic

Hatchling Dragon
The coils are terrible bulbs - they cause so many health issues I can't stress enough--- invest in the zoo med 24" fixture use the 5.0 bulb on the 20 gallon tank it needs to be unobstructed w/ the basking decor 6-8 inches directly underneath- place the fixture width wise across the tank - she will not be in that tank long that 24" fixture will go right into a bigger tank--- please get this fixture ASAP-- look on amazon.com- the places I use are all out of that fixture-- what uvb are you using now?
Of course! I want whatever is best for her, and I want her to live the longest and healthiest life she can.

for now (it was a quick and temporary buy anyway) I just have a exo-Terra 13 watt uvb coil bulb. But I’ll toss that out as soon as I can get a proper tube light.
would bringing her outside for around 20 mins a day to get natural sunlight help? In a secure carrier +close supervision of course.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Of course! I want whatever is best for her, and I want her to live the longest and healthiest life she can.

for now (it was a quick and temporary buy anyway) I just have a exo-Terra 13 watt uvb coil bulb. But I’ll toss that out as soon as I can get a proper tube light.
would bringing her outside for around 20 mins a day to get natural sunlight help? In a secure carrier +close supervision of course.
Yes please place her in a plastic tote NO GLASS and in direct /shade sunlight for 20 minutes would be great -- yes supervise her --- those 13 watt bulbs are NO GOOD -- I have seen so many dragons die under those uvb's -- you can do that everyday till the new UVB comes in --- it is so good that they let you take her home most pet stores put them in the back to let them die --- please get rid of the heat mat -- dragons heat from their backs not stomachs -- you dont need any heat at nite if the tank is 65 + degrees - dragons like it cool and dark unless they are sick --- you want temps 105-110 for basking side middle of the tank 90's and a cool side of 80's during the day ---- I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer as well place on the back center wall of the tank it will read the whole tank -- optimal humidity is 20-50% no lower than 20 and no higher than 70% --- please get a digital probe thermometer ASAP --

Cyanic

Hatchling Dragon
Yes please place her in a plastic tote NO GLASS and in direct /shade sunlight for 20 minutes would be great -- yes supervise her --- those 13 watt bulbs are NO GOOD -- I have seen so many dragons die under those uvb's -- you can do that everyday till the new UVB comes in --- it is so good that they let you take her home most pet stores put them in the back to let them die --- please get rid of the heat mat -- dragons heat from their backs not stomachs -- you dont need any heat at nite if the tank is 65 + degrees - dragons like it cool and dark unless they are sick --- you want temps 105-110 for basking side middle of the tank 90's and a cool side of 80's during the day ---- I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer as well place on the back center wall of the tank it will read the whole tank -- optimal humidity is 20-50% no lower than 20 and no higher than 70% --- please get a digital probe thermometer ASAP --
Awesome! Thank you so much!
And yep, I have a digital thermometer with a probe, it reads fairly accurate from my tests. I use it to check temps in my snakes enclosures. I’ll pick up a digital hygrometer next time I’m out.

yeah, luckily my boss and very kind and understanding, especially with animals, and we always try our hardest when an animal comes in sick to the store.

Cyanic

Hatchling Dragon

Are these the correct products you recommend?

0227FBC8-66C8-481C-9A1E-879CE733A97F.jpeg
DF37B37B-4DC9-4E73-AAFE-E389F30552E9.jpeg

Latest posts