• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

regaining weight after eggs

cheddar-beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
my bearded dragon, rolly, laid a clutch of 20 eggs on sunday
sadly, by the time i realized she was gravid, she was at a healthy beardie weight including the eggs. (i take very good care of her, im just not a very experienced beardie owner! i got her in january)

i weighed her after she laid the eggs and she weighed roughly 282 grams.

i weighed her yesterday (she wasnt in the mood to be handled today, i was home later than usual so she just wanted worms) and she weighed a little over 300 grams

i was feeding her five superworms a day, from sunday until today when i ran out
she laid a clutch of eggs in march and got CRAZY hungry and i fixed that by giving her five worms a day for six days, so i was already going to do that after she laid

so she's gone up roughly 20-30 grams and so far the plan is to pick up some waxworms tomorrow to help get her weight up, as she's five years old and about 18 inches in length my assumption is her weight should be between 400-500 grams, id like her to be closer to 500g since shes a pretty big girl (in terms of build as far as i can tell) and has a great appetite

i normally give her eight superworms on monday - wednesday - friday every week, as well as a salad every morning ofc. shes been getting calcium powder on every meal to make sure she gets that back up- not my first time dealing with her eggs, but certainly my first time with her being this skinny.

so im wondering how many waxworms i should give her at once and how often? i was recommended (not by a professional) to return to her usual diet with superworms but give her some waxworms on the days in-between, would that work?

thank you !!!!!!!!
1714789862317.png

(this was her the day she laid the eggs)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my bearded dragon, rolly, laid a clutch of 20 eggs on sunday
sadly, by the time i realized she was gravid, she was at a healthy beardie weight including the eggs. (i take very good care of her, im just not a very experienced beardie owner! i got her in january)

i weighed her after she laid the eggs and she weighed roughly 282 grams.

i weighed her yesterday (she wasnt in the mood to be handled today, i was home later than usual so she just wanted worms) and she weighed a little over 300 grams

i was feeding her five superworms a day, from sunday until today when i ran out
she laid a clutch of eggs in march and got CRAZY hungry and i fixed that by giving her five worms a day for six days, so i was already going to do that after she laid

so she's gone up roughly 20-30 grams and so far the plan is to pick up some waxworms tomorrow to help get her weight up, as she's five years old and about 18 inches in length my assumption is her weight should be between 400-500 grams, id like her to be closer to 500g since shes a pretty big girl (in terms of build as far as i can tell) and has a great appetite

i normally give her eight superworms on monday - wednesday - friday every week, as well as a salad every morning ofc. shes been getting calcium powder on every meal to make sure she gets that back up- not my first time dealing with her eggs, but certainly my first time with her being this skinny.

so im wondering how many waxworms i should give her at once and how often? i was recommended (not by a professional) to return to her usual diet with superworms but give her some waxworms on the days in-between, would that work?

thank you !!!!!!!!
View attachment 35563
(this was her the day she laid the eggs)
She looks ok but could use some more weight- you dont want her fat pads sunken in or the base of her tail thinning out so -- first off super worms are for treats not to be used as a staple insect / worm please get her some dubia roaches appropriately sized go to this website and look at their chart for size I am gonna say she can eat large or x large roaches - depending on how hungry she is she can eat anywhere from 3-4 x large roaches they are filling and better nutrition than crickets - they are easier to keep if you want more info on how to set them up please ask - its better to get them on line pet stores are terribly expensive if they carry them--- www.dubiaroaches.com next wax worms are very fatty and long term feeding and too many will / can cause liver damage I dont recommend them at all -- super worms meal worms and horn worms are better options-- she needs fresh salads every day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated and a good staple feeder -- I would also add a variety of staple insects like silk worms and BSFL -- crickets if you like but they are nasty little buggers and stink to high heaven --- you can find silk worms here www.reptilianarts.com as well as BSFL -- another website for BSFL is this one www.symtonbsf.com you will need a dish like this one or similar to for keeping the BSFL in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d they make great salad bowls -- also w/ her laying eggs are you giving extra calcium?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for joining the forum and welcome!
A multivitamin dusting with calcium would be the only thing I'd suggest adding. Feed her as much as she'll eat in 10 min span. She looks good. She'll put on weight quick I bet.

cheddar-beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
She looks ok but could use some more weight- you dont want her fat pads sunken in or the base of her tail thinning out so -- first off super worms are for treats not to be used as a staple insect / worm please get her some dubia roaches appropriately sized go to this website and look at their chart for size I am gonna say she can eat large or x large roaches - depending on how hungry she is she can eat anywhere from 3-4 x large roaches they are filling and better nutrition than crickets - they are easier to keep if you want more info on how to set them up please ask - its better to get them on line pet stores are terribly expensive if they carry them--- www.dubiaroaches.com next wax worms are very fatty and long term feeding and too many will / can cause liver damage I dont recommend them at all -- super worms meal worms and horn worms are better options-- she needs fresh salads every day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated and a good staple feeder -- I would also add a variety of staple insects like silk worms and BSFL -- crickets if you like but they are nasty little buggers and stink to high heaven --- you can find silk worms here www.reptilianarts.com as well as BSFL -- another website for BSFL is this one www.symtonbsf.com you will need a dish like this one or similar to for keeping the BSFL in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d they make great salad bowls -- also w/ her laying eggs are you giving extra calcium?
Hi! Thank you so much for replying

My vet approved her current diet using superworms! And we buy them from a local exotic pet store who gets them from breeders, we have had very good worms from them since getting her

I give her a fresh salad daily, and I always soak it well to make sure she gets her hydration.

I've seen waxworms recommended as both treats and as a short-term feeder to help gain weight. I unfortunately can't really afford to order worms online or buy hornworms, every store around me that sells them is either extremely far away or is just too much money for me to spend at the moment.

I am aware of the fat pads in her head and tail! This is where most of my concern is from, as both looked very good before she became gravid the first time and then dropped significantly when she laid her latest clutch.

I am giving her extra calcium of course! I'm repeating what I did the last time she laid eggs, where I add calcium powder to everything I feed her for about a week after the eggs are laid.

I am unfortunately deathly afraid of crickets and grasshoppers lol

I do have access to dubia roaches, but not as a constant feeder since I just can't afford them.

(The superworms I buy are 50 for about 5 dollars, I have always received extra in the containers- this lasts me two weeks, usually with some leftover that I'll either carry over or give to her with the last of the worms I have if there aren't too many)

I am aware of the risks with waxworms, I'm just not too sure what a better option is at the moment. Everything is very expensive where I live and often doesn't have great worms (lots of dead ones, several week old worms, ect).

The store we found that does have great worms also sells soldier fly larvae, would those be better?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! Thank you so much for replying

My vet approved her current diet using superworms! And we buy them from a local exotic pet store who gets them from breeders, we have had very good worms from them since getting her

I give her a fresh salad daily, and I always soak it well to make sure she gets her hydration.

I've seen waxworms recommended as both treats and as a short-term feeder to help gain weight. I unfortunately can't really afford to order worms online or buy hornworms, every store around me that sells them is either extremely far away or is just too much money for me to spend at the moment.

I am aware of the fat pads in her head and tail! This is where most of my concern is from, as both looked very good before she became gravid the first time and then dropped significantly when she laid her latest clutch.

I am giving her extra calcium of course! I'm repeating what I did the last time she laid eggs, where I add calcium powder to everything I feed her for about a week after the eggs are laid.

I am unfortunately deathly afraid of crickets and grasshoppers lol

I do have access to dubia roaches, but not as a constant feeder since I just can't afford them.

(The superworms I buy are 50 for about 5 dollars, I have always received extra in the containers- this lasts me two weeks, usually with some leftover that I'll either carry over or give to her with the last of the worms I have if there aren't too many)

I am aware of the risks with waxworms, I'm just not too sure what a better option is at the moment. Everything is very expensive where I live and often doesn't have great worms (lots of dead ones, several week old worms, ect).

The store we found that does have great worms also sells soldier fly larvae, would those be better?
All feeders on line are cheaper than your exotic stores or chain stores - please visit the websites I posted for you --- my last order from Flukers Cricket Farm

1 × Live Superworms, Buy Bulk Super Worms​

Size:LargeCount:100 count $7.90

1 × Live Hornworms Feeder Insect Reptile Treats​

Size:12 Count $9.90
total cost was $29.84
https://flukerfarms.com/crickets-live-feeder-insects/
The soldier fly larvea are BSFL -- I posted a website for those and they are great for babies to lure them to the salad bowl adults will eat more of them as they are small larvae but having another staple feeder as well will offset the amount - you dont want her gaining weight fast --- slow and steady --- please visit the websites and shop and compare to what your paying at the exotic store --

cheddar-beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for joining the forum and welcome!
A multivitamin dusting with calcium would be the only thing I'd suggest adding. Feed her as much as she'll eat in 10 min span. She looks good. She'll put on weight quick I bet.
What kind of multivitamin would you recommend and how often should I do the 10 minite feeding sessions?

Latest posts