• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reducing odor of crickets?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the awful smell that crickets have? I clean their cricket keeper on a daily basis and change their food every single day and I also take out the dead ones, but somehow they still have that awful odor to them that sometimes I can smell right away when I come in the apartment which is NOT good. Thanks!

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
I'm not entirely sure how they manage to smell. Sometimes I get them and they are fine, others its awful! all you can do is clean! Make sure you do a full clean after each new batch of crickets are put in. Use a deep reptile cleaner, seems to work the best!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you guys for your advice! I notice the same thing, that sometimes they smell worse than other times. It's odd. But yes, I will continue to do daily cleanings and clean the food everyday, I guess that's all I can do. I am sure you can imagine how embarrassing it is though to have company over and have that smell going on. :eek:

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
Just thought, You could try keeping them in a storage box inside the keeper. This may at least contain the smell. I know it's an awful smell and does feel a bit embarrassing!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I used to use a cat litter product, that is pressed wood\sawdust pellets as a thin layer of substrate. This worked wonders at absorbing the better part of the odor. Something similar to this ...

51tzroyVPuL.jpg

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Oh awesome, thanks so much for all your advice! And Germ, I think they sell that brand of cat litter in stores near me, so I am psyched to know I can buy something that will get rid of the odor! I just have some questions about it.....how much exactly do I put for a layer? And, what if the crickets eat the substrate and then my beardie eats the crickets? Would that hurt my beardie?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They don't eat the wood ;). I always just used a one pellet thick layer, the pellets are appoximately 1/4" in diameter & 3/4"-1" long. Making sure all dead crix are removed will also reduce the odor significantly, if you don't, there is very little that will remove or cover up that smell.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, awesome, thanks Germ! I actually went to Target yesterday looking for it, and I saw that brand, but for some reason I thought it was more like sawdust, not actual pellets, so I didn't get it lol. Haven't been able to get online until now to check back at your picture and post to double check, but now I see you DID say pellets so the next time I go there I will definitely get it! :)

Latest posts