• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red night light

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
I've been told by a reputable company that I can keep a red heat lamp on at night as my house gets quite cold . I'm debating whether or not to change the set up to have a white heat lamp in the day and a ceramic heat lamp on a thermostat set to 75 degrees . Can you please give me your suggestions as there's so many mixed reviews .

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
That depends on your tank and the heat now. You don't need it to stay hot in there at night. Just not go below 70, my enclosure is 2ft tall and I used a 50w and it kept it 80ish. If you can go to Walmart and buy a acurite thermometer that keeps track of the highest temp and lowest of the last 12 hours or 24 hours, I can't remember how long it keeps track but it will show you how cold it gets at night. The one I have is this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415571786.662602.jpg

They're only a couple dollars from what i remember

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
That's great thanks , have you got a pic of your ceramic bulb and where it is ? I live in the UK so don't have a Walmart but I believe asda is the equivalent over here .

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
I don't use it anymore but I had it on a separate timer to turn on at 9pm and turns off at 6am, you can use a dome if you want I hang all of mine in fixtures in my tanks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415573012.062176.jpg

I use these from Home Depot they're ceramic light fixtures
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415573079.283269.jpg

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you very much for your help I will definitely get a ceramic heater . If you don't use yours now what do you do ? Your viva look great . What are your beardies called ?

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
The one one the top is my girl she's 9 months and her name is flare
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415574466.100186.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415574479.493665.jpg

The one on bottom is my male who is roughly a year and a half, his name is opie
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415574515.482215.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415574526.665164.jpg

And the room I have them in i close the window at night and it never gets below 75 in either viv. If I want to leave my window open and fan on I will put that heater in there for them. But I'm okay with keeping it shut

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
They are gorgeous both of them very cute . Unfortunately it's bloody cold over here and I won't have the heating on at night which is why I need a lamp .

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
They can see red light which is why I would stay away if you can. Unless your dragon has a cave that would be pretty much blacked out Inside if that makes sense? But the only reason I don't use the heater is because I don't need it. But it does work great!

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
What temp should I set the ceramic heater at. I was going to sit it infront of the basking lamp?

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
75 if you can would probably be good I would say no higher than 80 just to simulate that it's night time, and there's a lot of debates about bearded dragons haha. So I just lean more towards the safe side unless I find out from experience

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If your temperature does not drop BELOW 65 degrees you DO not require night heat at all...... If it does drop below 65 degrees than you use one and keep the temp 65-70 degrees...... It needs to cool off at night for them 75-80 degrees is IMO to high at night..... As that is the range of day time heat for the cool side of your enclosure.

Latest posts