• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recently have become a Beardie mum. Advice please!

Youshallnotpass

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone,

So I have adopted a 2-3 yr old female Beardie from a family friend and have had her 4 days. I am completely new to owning a bearded dragon so not all that familiar with their behaviour, feeding etc.
I give her about 3 locusts a day, mealworms every 3 days and fruit and veg daily. Her tank has been set up so as that temperatures/humidity can be monitored etc so all in that area is good.
I haven’t got to handling her yet, I have been placing my hand in the tank near her so as that she gets use to my scent. However, today, she puffed out her beard at me, it didn’t go completely black as I have read but she was puffing out and opening her mouth and her beard did darken a bit.
I was wondering if that was normal? I’m worried I was threatening to her. I’m not sure on their typical behaviour as of yet!
I also read it could be a sign of illness? She is eating happily, both her live food and her fruit and veg.
I know this may sound silly but I’m worried my Beardie now doesn’t like me! I’ve read your supposed to let them settle into their new home for a while before handling which is what I am trying to do.
However, I have also walked away from her and watching her from a distance and her back is turned and she is still puffing up her beard.
I am a little concerned so any advice anyone can give would be fantastic.
Thank you!

Fumi

Hatchling Dragon
Hello there....I adopted a beardie from my son about 2 months ago and I am obsessed with him. I love him so. At first I was afraid of every little movement Elon Lizzy made thinking he was stressed or sick. Luckily Elon was friendly from the start so I do not have what you are experiencing with the puffing up beard but he often used to get black beard. It took him a while to settle in his new environment and once he did the black beard became less frequent. You just don't know what they are going thru - I think they are sensitive creatures. From what I have read you are doing the right thing by trying to get him used to you. Ask your family friend what kind of personality this beardie has and that will help you a lot. I have heard a few people say that their beardies were aggressive at first and then became very sweet and friendly so I know they can change. I do suggest taking your little guy to a vet to get him checked out if he has never been to one. I did right away when I took over his care and he was infested with parasites - was dehydrated and he had soft jaw bones which is a sign he wasn't getting enuf calcium. I got meds and the parasites were gone in a month and he gained 10% of his weight so the vet was so pleased when I took him in for his next check up. There is SO MUCH to learn about how to care for them and I'm learning so much from this forum. I don't know if I have been any help but I wanted to reach out to you as a mom who adopted a beardie. If you are anything like me OMG you will LOVE this journey. My elon lizzy brings so much joy into my life and so will your little guy. All the best to you!

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome! First give your beardie a salad every day, collards, turnip. Mustard green mix works well. Get some powdered bee pollen, sprinkle on salad.

Do not feed mealworms! Can cause impaction. Crickets, dubia or discoid roaches, superworms, hornworms are ok. Diet should be 80% salad at this age.

When you go to pick up make sure he knows your there. Talk to him first, and reach under him to pick up. Does your enclosure have front opening doors? Reaching from above can freak them out a bit. If your hand casts a shadow over their head they might think you are a predator bird, they have a sensor on their head that picks up on this.

Be bold, sometime you just have to reach in and pick them up, puffed beard and all. Usually once in your hand they calm down. My dragons love to be sung to, calms them down. Dragons rarely bite in my experience, they bluff a lot with beard, open mouth and hissing. Try picking up just before light come on or just after they go out. A dragon that is half asleep is usually very docile. Let them get used to you, handle them gently! Dont squeeze them!

A vet checkup for parasites is always a good idea when getting a new to you dragon. I have all of mine checked when I purchase them.

BeardedDragonPauper

Hatchling Dragon
Also if you put a t-shirt in with the beardie to help it get used to your scent that helps too. Julio only puffed his beard once and that was at my grandma who was wearing a bright red sweater and came into the room on like his 4th day home and he got spooked. Otherwise he has only puffed up his body if he gets stressed and usually a few little insects settles him down right away.
Hand feeding is also a great way to tell the beardie you are friendly and are his protector. Just be warned not to do it too often or it may get lazy and want hand fed all the time!

Congratulations on your precious new friend!

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
I used the tshirt idea as well for my spike it would settle him right down when I had to leave to go to work, otherwise when i got home he would have made a big mess in his viv..i miss him alot ,he passed in November.

Latest posts