• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RECENT DIAGNOSIS ADVICE

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with possible gout, and high uric acid levels.
I recently took my 1.5 year old bearded dragon Kratos to the vet and got x rays and bloodwork done as part of routine examination. He has had a swollen toe from a possible injury to his metacarpal in his right hand but other than that he has shown no signs of being unhealthy. Today the bloodwork has come back and they state that his uric acid levels are a bit higher than the normal. Normal is 5-10. His is 15. He is now on an IM injection of Ceftazidime and an oral liquid antibiotic that is now being changed due to the possibility of that damaging his kidneys. They did mention to lay off protein/insects until they conclude that the swollen digit on his right hand is just due to injury and not possible gout.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with possible gout, and high uric acid levels.
I recently took my 1.5 year old bearded dragon Kratos to the vet and got x rays and bloodwork done as part of routine examination. He has had a swollen toe from a possible injury to his metacarpal in his right hand but other than that he has shown no signs of being unhealthy. Today the bloodwork has come back and they state that his uric acid levels are a bit higher than the normal. Normal is 5-10. His is 15. He is now on an IM injection of Ceftazidime and an oral liquid antibiotic that is now being changed due to the possibility of that damaging his kidneys. They did mention to lay off protein/insects until they conclude that the swollen digit on his right hand is just due to injury and not possible gout.
There are a lot of dragons diagnosed w/ gout and is treatable w/ Allopurinol -- black tart cherry juice helps w/ the kidneys -- dubias should not be fed and you will need to find another staple feeder like BSFL or silkworms are good options -- I can request some more help from a vet tech that is familiar w/ this issue

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
There are a lot of dragons diagnosed w/ gout and is treatable w/ Allopurinol -- black tart cherry juice helps w/ the kidneys -- dubias should not be fed and you will need to find another staple feeder like BSFL or silkworms are good options -- I can request some more help from a vet tech that is familiar w/ this issue

Thank you I will stop dubias as I have been giving him those and superworms every day along with salads. I did also start giving him slurries by syringe to get him to eat his greens as he has been avoiding them more recently.

Another question I have is How much vitamin powder and calcium powder should I be giving him and how often. I was instructed by the vet to switch him off of the rep cal calcium with d3 to the version without d3 and I also give him rep cal herptivite. I am using a ReptiSun 10.0 HO T5 UVB light.

Latest posts