• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reasons for throwing up insects?

Beardies.zilla.minilla

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie threw up her insects from earlier. She already has a VET appointment for Saturday. But I think I’m in need of some reassurance . Does vomiting always mean an illness or maybe she just ate too much or choked so threw up?
BTW: she’s still active and was just eating her veggies. I also soaked her so she can have some water just in case she’s dehydrated. Her basking temp is 94 degrees.

Attachments

• 24961ECC-4BFB-4339-8B07-A4C17BA3B766.jpeg
    24961ECC-4BFB-4339-8B07-A4C17BA3B766.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • D62BF252-F252-4F6D-8049-EA8726143846.jpeg
    D62BF252-F252-4F6D-8049-EA8726143846.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie threw up her insects from earlier. She already has a VET appointment for Saturday. But I think I’m in need of some reassurance . Does vomiting always mean an illness or maybe she just ate too much or choked so threw up?
BTW: she’s still active and was just eating her veggies. I also soaked her so she can have some water just in case she’s dehydrated. Her basking temp is 94 degrees.
Please increase the surface basking temp to 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer for a baby how old is the dragon? --- please NO enemas at the vet they can end in disaster -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/beware-of-vets-giving-enemas-to-your-dragon.252267/
what are the worms? They look like BSFL--- if that is the case she probably ate them too fast --- I would feed them on the salads like 20 at a time if that is what they are --- her stomach could of been upset at the time - I can have the vet tech on here take a look and she can advise you on what you can do as well ---
@Drache613

Beardies.zilla.minilla

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please increase the surface basking temp to 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer for a baby how old is the dragon? --- please NO enemas at the vet they can end in disaster -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/beware-of-vets-giving-enemas-to-your-dragon.252267/
what are the worms? They look like BSFL--- if that is the case she probably ate them too fast --- I would feed them on the salads like 20 at a time if that is what they are --- her stomach could of been upset at the time - I can have the vet tech on here take a look and she can advise you on what you can do as well ---
@Drache613

Beardies.zilla.minilla

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, I’m thinking she ate them too fast being that when she went poop when I soaked her, there was one in her poop like she didn’t chew and it didn’t get digested. Should I still get her seen just in case?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, I’m thinking she ate them too fast being that when she went poop when I soaked her, there was one in her poop like she didn’t chew and it didn’t get digested. Should I still get her seen just in case?
How old is she and how long have your had her? I would let Tracie respond to your post she can better advise on the issue- but if she pooped one out then she either ate them too fast or the basking temps are not high enough or both -- so I would get your temps accurate and feed the BSFL slowly so she doesnt gobble them up so quickly--- if there is any more issues after that w/ the throwing up etc then maybe a vet visit is in order --- but I have seen alot of this happening w/ BSFL --

Beardies.zilla.minilla

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is she and how long have your had her? I would let Tracie respond to your post she can better advise on the issue- but if she pooped one out then she either ate them too fast or the basking temps are not high enough or both -- so I would get your temps accurate and feed the BSFL slowly so she doesnt gobble them up so quickly--- if there is any more issues after that w/ the throwing up etc then maybe a vet visit is in order --- but I have seen alot of this happening w/ BSFL --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She’s maybe about 4-5 months. I’ve had her for two months.
Ok I would bump up the surface basking temps then - around 6 months old or so she may change the surface basking temps- as they get older they dont quite like the hotter temps 95-100 but for now I would increase them - if you can offer a temp gradient that would be good - a piece of decor that offers different places to sit under the basking bulb w/ different temps -- then she can pick the place she chooses for temps---

Beardies.zilla.minilla

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I would bump up the surface basking temps then - around 6 months old or so she may change the surface basking temps- as they get older they dont quite like the hotter temps 95-100 but for now I would increase them - if you can offer a temp gradient that would be good - a piece of decor that offers different places to sit under the basking bulb w/ different temps -- then she can pick the place she chooses for temps---
Will do! Thank you so much!

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I agree, the primary reasons they throw up most of the times are eating too fast, eating too much or
not being warm enough to fully digest.
Be sure the insects aren't too large for her to avoid stomach upset.

Tracie

Tangelosaurus

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new to beardie forum but years have had chameleons. Much similar, including that they may regurgitate their food if a) too much is already on board (in their tummy), b) the protein and/or veg offering is brand new to their system and they've yet never met it, or 3) sometimes we all have bad tummy days.
So main thing: Keep your visit with your vet, I'd suggest increasing that 94 degree basking temp up to about 99 - 150 and give her that out we all love to provide, the "cooler side of the house" where she may chill.
I noted you mentioned she was active and just enjoying veggies--OH MY Gosh such a wonderful sign of health for your baby. A brief morning soak for my kiddo -- which I really do recommend, so long as it's brief -- provides them with hydration (for this desert critter!) and also allows them to evacuate their vent, including urates and stool. It's the warm water-to make her poop sooner, use a paper cup to gently pour water over her head, maybe have a 2" wide new paint brush to massage her from north to south to move that stool down to her vent, you can also provide a light manual massage to get all that stuff headed south and OUT. Yes, she'll crap in the water, but NOT in the cage. You can also see exactly the nature of her elimination. See something odd? Grab it with a paper town and bring it to your vet visit coming up. Plus, see if you can recognize regurgitation (gentle uprising in the tummy--what you or I would take Zantac for) from vomiting. Vomiting is a whole bit thing that happens rarely. If your Beardie's vomited, she'll be tuckered out. If she's regurged, she might be, uh, well, putting it back where it came from to begin with.
Love you, your lizard, and can't wait to know how your visit turned out. I sure can tell you love your beardie!

Tangelosaurus

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I agree, the primary reasons they throw up most of the times are eating too fast, eating too much or
not being warm enough to fully digest.
Be sure the insects aren't too large for her to avoid stomach upset.

Tracie
Hi Tracie, I also recommend the beardie oughta get the other side of the bed for a super comfy night's sleep. But damn it, cats ruin everything. Plus once I fell asleep on the couch (cats shut outta the room) and I woke to find him over in the corner sitting on our chair! Nigel gets daily sun time--whenever we have it, ha ha! I think he's developing this roam-free-antelope-thing! Oh, also Tracie, could you ready my schtick and see if you can't offer some sage advice so he may eat veggies... I kinda think you'd have some good answers.

Attachments

• DSC_0017 (4).JPG
    DSC_0017 (4).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Tangelosaurus

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh, forgot Tracie, there's always or well mostly a husband who's on that other side of the bed. I'm thinkin though the beardie is a finer bedfellow for warmth. Smiles your way❣️

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

Very cute picture! So, does he sleep in bed with you? It sure sounds like he is very spoiled! Definitely
wouldn't want the cats in the bedroom with him free roaming around.
***To OP, please let us know how your little one is doing!

Tracie

Latest posts