• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Real Plants in enclosure

hsaslow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, just joined and am looking forward to contributing. I am planning to build a new enclosure for my son's bearded dragon. I would like to include some real plants in the enclosure if recommended. Can anyone advise me as to what plants if any are safe to be included in the enclosure? Thank you!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have seen this attempted many times, but is an idea that is generally soon abandoned. While it sounds like a great idea aesthetically & in theory, is not the best of ideas in practicality.
  • Raises the humidity in the enclosure
  • The soil base to plant them in is proves to be a very high impaction risk, should it be ingested
  • BDs like to dig, uprooting the plants &\or creating a mess.
  • BDs are likely to eat & destroy the plants
  • Provides more hiding spots for feeders
  • Difficult to clean should the BD soil them, they aren't very particular where they do their job at times
Artificial plants are not really suggested either, as leaves &\or other small pieces may get pulled off & ingested posing dangerous risks.

Just my $.02 on the subject ;)

hsaslow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank for the fast reply. Seems more than $.02 worth too. I will abandon the idea. Thanks again.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I went to Michaels Craft store and bought some silk philodenfron. Looks good and gives some greenery.

Latest posts