• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rate of growth concern

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
While I'm not positive on age, both of my dragons are roughly the same age. One was purchased from a "chain store" last April, the other was rescued, from the same store, in October. Since I have no real idea how old he is, I based my guess on his size when we got him. Basically, Aussie (I'm guessing born sometime in May 2012) is about nine months old, and Demani is probably a little older, like 10 months or so. Here's the question in my rant of a post...

When we got Demani in early October, I stared weighing, and measuring, them both. At that time, Demani was 9 1/4", and 28 grams. Aussie was 8 1/8", and 40 grams. Fast forward to now...Since January 28, Aussie has only grown 1/4", and gained 16g. Demani, on the other hand, has grown 1 3/4", and has gained 82g. Both seem basically healthy. They aren't the most active, but they do get around. Demani (obviously) eats more, but Aussie doesn't really seem to under eat. She does look quite skinny though. I know that bearded dragons (much like humans), grow "at their own rate". The concern is, are rates this hugely different normal? Is it normal for growth to slow to 1/4" in four weeks, at under one year of age?

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sean; Appartantly yes; they grow in bits and splurts; I personally have found my babies grow at all different rates some faster then others but they all grow when ready, Like- i have 1-female'Misty' she didn't seem to grow much and now at 5-6-months she has grown soo much i have to move her to a 40-breeder tank as it happened all at once-Thank the Lord i was prepared for large growth splurts and already had larger tanks for all my babies. river-7

Latest posts