• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rango's new cave/basking spot.....

loz72vw

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I've finally started rangos new cave....have glued the main structure, now I've got to start carving some detail :))
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403676958.865780.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403676971.528889.jpg

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Hmm awesome love to see final product. Is it costly? I need to get some platforms that are higher but id love to make something more custom if its cheaper.

loz72vw

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've only brought the polystyrene so far, I'll let you know how much it costs when I'm done. It is kinda messy too..,,,I'm gonna be finding polystyrene in my room for weeks! Haha.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When i did mine i used the white styrofoam also. Its pretty cheap. The styrofaom was only like $10 the grout was about the same the mod podge was about $8 then the paint thats only about a buck. And theres enough that you can make more than your moneys worth with it. Just very time consuming. After you shape it i put 5 good layers of grout and 6 good layers of mod podge to seal it. Just remember if you get the modge podge wet it will turn white again until it drys again. I just make sure minnie is nice n dry before i put her back in her viv. Heres a couple pics of mine.uploadfromtaptalk1403743584263.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403743607756.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403743661194.jpg

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks.like i said its really time consuming i just kinda went with it. I didnt carve or cut anything to shape it i just broke off chunks that were diff sizes and started glueing them on the backboard. Making sure that it would still fit after i grouted everything. The shelfs have little triangle braces under them for extra support for when my beardie got older it wouldnt break under the weight. The big shelf i use as the basking spot is not connected because it wouldnt fit through the glass doors. Which is nice for cleaning its easier to take out that way. The long steps were tricky the grout kept cracking about the middle of the steps i almost just threw it away and started over but i decided to put a few coats of sealant on it first and im glad i did because once a few layers of the sealant was on it got hard as a rock and turned out just perfect.lol my beardie loves to jump from one ledge to another run down the stairs and around than back up . Over and over. Good exercise aswell. Good luck and happy building. Any questions just ask ill help anyway i can. I also have a thread somewhere that has more pics too.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I posted a reply on it so it would come to the top so you can see more of it if you would like thread is called "started a new viv for vinnie" check it out.

loz72vw

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks.like i said its really time consuming i just kinda went with it. I didnt carve or cut anything to shape it i just broke off chunks that were diff sizes and started glueing them on the backboard. Making sure that it would still fit after i grouted everything. The shelfs have little triangle braces under them for extra support for when my beardie got older it wouldnt break under the weight. The big shelf i use as the basking spot is not connected because it wouldnt fit through the glass doors. Which is nice for cleaning its easier to take out that way. The long steps were tricky the grout kept cracking about the middle of the steps i almost just threw it away and started over but i decided to put a few coats of sealant on it first and im glad i did because once a few layers of the sealant was on it got hard as a rock and turned out just perfect.lol my beardie loves to jump from one ledge to another run down the stairs and around than back up . Over and over. Good exercise aswell. Good luck and happy building. Any questions just ask ill help anyway i can. I also have a thread somewhere that has more pics too.
Thanks for the advice....your pictures are great :)...it's defiantly time consuming but fun too...plus it's gonna look good when it's all done so worth it. I'll have a look at your thread. Thanks for your offer of help, I may just do that when I'm on the other stages :)

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
When i did mine i used the white styrofoam also. Its pretty cheap. The styrofaom was only like $10 the grout was about the same the mod podge was about $8 then the paint thats only about a buck. And theres enough that you can make more than your moneys worth with it. Just very time consuming. After you shape it i put 5 good layers of grout and 6 good layers of mod podge to seal it. Just remember if you get the modge podge wet it will turn white again until it drys again. I just make sure minnie is nice n dry before i put her back in her viv. Heres a couple pics of mine.View attachment 9006
View attachment 9007
View attachment 9008
Very valid point..... I found a mod podge that is outdoor use..... And can get wet... I used it on mine and so far so good..
I posted a reply on it so it would come to the top so you can see more of it if you would like thread is called "started a new viv for vinnie" check it out.
I was wonder wth them dots were for Lmfao...........

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya i wish i wouldve seen some outdoor stuff that can get wet. But its ok i work around it.

loz72vw

Bearded Dragon Egg
...here's where I am now, I've grouted, sanded & sprayed one coat a couple more to do ...I'm pleased with it so far :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404551260.615769.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404551276.967270.jpg

Latest posts