• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Random visitor

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I was coming back from walking the dog. We just walked through the door and then I see something hopping in with us and the dog is chasing it. I finally realize it's a frog and I'm screaming for my son to come get the dog while I try to catch the frog. He made it straight across the house from back to front before I got him lol. My son wanted to hold it before I took him back outside. He's falling in love with it and is making plans on how we could set up a tank for him.
It was kind of a blessing that when my son opened the container that he put the frog in, that it jumped out and the dog started after it again. That was finally enough for my son to be convinced that it would be a danger to the poor thing's life if we kept him.
But now we both want a frog...just look at this adorable face (with some of my cat's hairs on his face lol):
33w349i.jpg

2zywvph.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What a cutie! I'm completely lost when it's a frog that is natural to our environment.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
We didn't keep the little one. My son reluctantly let him go a couple minutes later out by a pond a few yards out. I didn't see any justifiable reason to keep him from his natural environment.
But...I forgot how cute frogs are, may not be able to say no to a captive one I happen upon :)
I had a frog that I got as a ten cent tadpole when I was younger. He passed on after 4 yrs and to be honest, although I thought I did good with him at the time, I'm surprised he lasted that long. His care was probably barely adequate. But he was a great pet, similar in looks and size to this little one.
What kind do you have Patsy?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have Whites tree frogs. They are the all green ones that look like they are smiling. Very easy to take care of. I don't handle them much only when I need to. They are very easy to take care of although they are prone to getting fat because they LOVE to eat!
20150503_093821.jpg

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Aww, I'm in love! They're adorable, cute picture too! Gonna do some research on them now...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We always had fish but hated cleaning their tanks so we wanted something that wasn't always in the water. Some people do a water element with half land, half water with a drainage layer etc. I never wanted to do something like that. The bottom of their tank is coco fibre and I have a very large bowl for them to soak in. I keep the substrate moist and pick up poop daily and change the water. I tried doing real plants in their tank but couldn't get them to grow so it's just driftwood and lots of fake plants and ledges for them to climb on. Their diet is strictly crickets with the occasional small hornworm or wax worm. I used to feed them daily but now that they are big and fat they get fed a few times a week. One difference with them is their food is dusted WITH D3. Because they are nocturnal they don't get the UV they need. Although, I do still use a UVB light during the day for them. I hope that they are still soaking it in while they are sleeping.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
I had the great idea of showing my son the pic of your frogs...I won't stop hearing about them now until we get our own! Do you use the same uvb as with the beardeds or do you use the reptiglo? What size tank do you use? I don't recall ever seeing them before, did you have to get them shipped to you? I think we've found our next pet :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The tank they are in right now is 18X18X24. When I only had two frogs they were kept in a 12X12X18. They get light for heat during the day and I use a red light for heat at night. Then I have a fogger that helps keep the humidity up. The heat light and fogger are connected to a hygrotherm that turns them on and off when the temp and or humidity gets to where they need to be. I also give there tank a good misting everyday to keep the substrate moist.

There's a great forum called frogforum.net I learned tons of stuff from them.

Whites tree frogs are commonly sold at pet stores along with fire bellied toads. I got all mine at the pet store. We have had problems over the years, one of my first frogs I returned because he was sick and another one died. They also had parasites when I got them and they had to be medicated. Giving a frog medicine is NOT an easy task! Now they are all fine. My oldest one I've had for 5 years now!

They each have personalities and I can tell all 5 apart just by looking at them. My boyfriend still can't figure out who is who. They alo like to try to get out of their tank. I have one that will climb around the top looking for a way out!

Latest posts