• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi everyone. I'm a new beardie owner and i have a couple questions. Dragon has been tearing up his tank when he's left alone. Is that normal? He also sleeps in his waterdish a lot. It's his favorite spot. And he won't eat his veggies. Any advice would be very helpful. I love this little guy. I just want to make sure he's healthy and happy.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Very often breeders do not get their dragons into practice on eating greens because they breed at such a high level they just "dont have time" to offer greens to them. So you will have to keep offering greens daily and eventually he will start eating them. Good tip is to offer them first thing in the morning before you feed his ive feeders this way he is hungriest when the greens go in. Eventually he will start tearing into them. As far as the tearing up his cage that is normal. He is getting accustomed to his surroundings. And they sleep in the strangest positions. As long as he doesnt have his head in the waterbowl it should be fine.

Would you mind answering a few questions? they are below

Where did you get your dragon?
What size tank do you have him in (measurements/gallons)?
What type of substrate (flooring) do you use?
What type and brand of UV lighing do you use (IE: Reptisun 10.0, TREX MVB, ETC)?
Do you use a heat lamps?
What are your temps (basking site, ambient, and coolside)?
How do you measure these temps?
What do you feed your dragon (both live and veg)?
How many times a day do you feed?
Do you soak your dragon?
What are the times for your lights coming on and going off?
Do you use heat mats, heat rocks, or black light bulbs at night?

I know it looks like a lot of questions but could you please answer them it will help in tailoring your care ;)

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome aboard,
If any of my poopers fall asleep in the water dish I tend to remove them. I am paranoid that way..lol. As to the greens like Brian mentioned just keep offering and they will eat them. I offer my babys greens from the 1st day from the egg and all of them start eating greens within a week or so.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I bought him at a pet store
I think it's a 20 gallon but it's only temporary. i'm going to be building him a bigger one
The pet store put sand in the tank when we bought it.
i've got a regular flouresant light for uv
100 f on basking side 80f on cool side
he eats crickets and i offer a variety of greens and veggies i've tried collard greens, green beans carrots, dandelion
1/day the pet store said they were feeding him every 3 days
i spray him but not soak (am i supposed to?)
lights go on at 6 am and off between 8 and 9 pm
no nothing at night(my house is hot in the summer)

I really apprieciate the help guys i want to get good with him and get more. they really are cool pets

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What do you mean a "regular" flourescent light??? You need bulbs specifically made to produce UV rays. The ReptiSun 10.0 is the only Flourescent Tube bulb that most breeders suggest as it puts out more than adequate UV for beardies. Note it tis the ReptiSun 10.0 and not the ReptiGlo 10.0.
How are you measuring your temps? If it is a stick on thermometer than it is very possibly wrong. For accurate temps you need a digital probe thermometer that you can find at walmart for around 15-20bux or a tempgun from tempgun.com
Both of these are extremely accurate.
How old is he? A healthy young dragon should be fed twice a day and should eat around 40-100 appropriately sized crix a day.
You should soak him in a warm bath 2-3 times a week. this allows for proper hydration and aids in bowel movements.
The 20 gallon tank is too small but you already know that.

How many time has he pooped since you got him and how many crix does he eat a day?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't want to inundate you with info. I know it is overwhelming at first. I just want to add that food should be no larger than the space between their eyes. This goes for proteins (bugs) and salad pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts