• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
HI just wandering how i would go about getting Safira to eat her crickets in a container instand of in her enclosure? I'm sick of having to take everything out of the enclosure to just get the crickets out. Everytime i put her in a sperate container away from her enclosure she will not eat. Just trys to run up the container to get out. How long should i leave her in the container for? I do not want her geting to cold. Also how long could it take her to actually accept eating from the container? How long should i make her hold out before going back to feeding in the enclosure? The crickets have managed to chew holes on her fake rock too hide which also makes it difficult for me to get them out of the enclosure.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, crickets can be little stinkers. I used to think my hubby cleaned them all out and we would find one. They would hide in areas of the wood.

I would not leave her longer than 15 minutes in the other enclosure. It is new, so give your beardie time to adapt. When he is hungry, he'll start eating. But a dragon will eat what their appetite dictates them to eat within the first 10-15 minutes of being around the food.

I would keep at it. What time of day are you feeding your dragon? They can eat anywhere after 30 minutes of lights coming on in the morning and should not eat 1 hour before lights out. This gives their digestive system a chance to wake up and a chance to digest their food before lights out.

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
HI her lights get turned on at 7am she gets fed at 9am then 1pm then 5pm her lights get turned off at 7pm. Does the other container need to be heated at all? can she last 10 minutes out of her enclosure without heat? I was thinking to get her used to being in another container with crickets is every hour or 2 put her in the container with crickets. Should i put Safira in the container first then put the crickets in?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im one of those people that feed in the enclosure. If 4 or 5 get left I dont sweat it to much. It kind of give them something to do. Knock on wood I have never had any problems with this. Part of the reason is the amount of crickets put in the enclosure. Its always easy to add but harder to take away if you add to much.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The container does not need to be heated. She can last a bit without UVB and her viv heat.

Tom, brings up a good point. How many crickets are in the container? Bearded dragons can get stressed if there are too many. I wouldn't have more than 10 crickets to start out. See how she does and add more.

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Safira stresses even in the container on her own add a cricket and she is even more stressed. When shes in the container she breaths heavy,even when i go to put her in it she will not hop off my hand. I got told if i want to feed her in her enclosure and not worry about collecting the crickets is leave a piece of carrot in the enclosure.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh my. sounds like the little one does not being taken out of her home. can you remind me, how old is safira and how long have you had her. it may be too much for her right now to switch vivs. if you haven't had her for very long, i would hold off switching her feeding area.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you decide to feed her in her viv, I would not put too many crickets in her it. If a couple get left behind, no big deal. I've read that they will chew on the beardie when sleeping, but I have never heard of anyone experiencing this.

As Tom pointed out, leaving a handful behind is not a big deal. But if there were 10 or more, I don't think that is a good idea.

The carrot is a good idea. I've seen crickets carry around the bearded dragon food and munch on it. So, a carrot makes sense. And it wouldn't hurt Safira if she ate the crickets. A small amount of carrots is fine for them.

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Safira is 3 months old what the pet store said anyway just over 6 inches long, I've had Safira for 11 days this is the 12th day. She has been feed in her enclosure from birth never switched to another cage for feeding.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, she may be experiencing a bit of relocation stress. It happens. They loose appetite and become a bit skittish. Give her time to adjust to her new home.

DragonLover1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Safira is doing good still wil not eat from a sperate container so i think i'll just continue feeding her in her enclosure. At night time i put a slice of carrot in the enclosure. If i see one out i grab it if i can, Shes been eating good one day 20 crickets,next day 9 crickets, next day 10,next day 5 and today she has only eaten 4 so far.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have we gone over your lighting? I'm sorry if this has been covered.

What are your temps on the hot and cold side?
What are you using to measure your temps?
What is the make and model of your UVB light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts