• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about some dragon food.

Equus

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was at Petland getting a box of crickets, but wanted to add a little more variety to their diet. I feed them bananas and lettuce too, but they get tired of it after a while. I bought some Helathy Herp Juvenile Dragon Food (Instant food) and Zoo Menu Bearded Dragon Food Juvenile Formula. I was just wondering if anyone had anything to say about these two brands before I opened them and tried them.

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
I feed collard greens,butternut squash, and finely grated carrots to my bd in a salad type mix all cut to size. I cut up enough to last about five days then just pack it in a ziplock bag an give him his fresh salad every morning and take it out every night before lights out. But there are lots of different thinks you can feed your bd.

You can check this page out it tells you what staple foods to feed your bd and to only feed occasionally or never
http://blackninjakitty.com/herps/care/troystuttlegreeniglist.htm

One beardie. Four corns. One ball python. One Costa Rican boa.

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Also lettuce is a rare or never veggie as it has little to no nutritional value and can also cause your bd to get the runs and it said banana is only an occasional fruit.

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
As for the the pellet food I use it to about once a week but never see Pablo eat any of it. I would also like to know what our fellow keepers think about this type of food.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Me personally I don't like any of the freeze-dried foods Insta-meal stuff or any of the freeze-dried feeder insects period and would only consider using any of them in an extreme emergency. I stick with Gut Loaded Live Feeders as I believe that the creatures need both the nutrition in them as well as the stimulation of catching and hunting them.
Most of our "salad eaters" are fed fresh veggies and with those I stick with a base of Collard Greens, Mustard and Turnip Greens and then add in a variety of other veggies and the occasional fruit as occasional treats in small amounts.
Along with the veggies base Mungi is fed RepCal Adult Bearded Dragon Pellets( and he will only eat the green ones...the red and brown he still gets but doesn't know it cause I grind them into the Gut Load for the roaches he eats..lol) I also feed him the Zilla Adult Bearded dragon pellets which are red and he likes. Both Pellets are good but the RepCal is the better of the two and both must be pre-moistened before feeding them. He also has a specific schedule of Calcium, Calcium w/D3 and a MultiVit supplementation that we follow with him.
And at present he is getting 0.5ml's of WholeSoy brand Blueberry or Strawberry 100% Soy Yogurt each evening to continue rebuilding his gut flora after his recent illness. I credit that with a major part of his recovery as it was almost like magic how well and fast he started eating on his own after only two days of getting the Soy Yogurt in his system. Up until that point I had been having to force feed everything to him for a few weeks:eek:
At least in my experience most of our salad eaters that we have had or currently have tend to be rather picky about a lot of new stuff added into their mix so from very early on I watch closely an find two or three suitable staple greens that they consistently will eat and then I stick with those as their staple base. Haven't had one yet that wouldn't go for the Collards, Mustards or Turnip Greens which me being a true Cajun from deep Southern Louisiana and a Southern Fried Child of OL' Dixie makes me have to smile with pride..LOL:D
I think a lot of folks get too hung up on trying to provide too much constant variety when feed their creatures. My advice, based purely on my own experiences would be to establish a good base that they will eat and that you can get easily year-round and that covers their nutritional requirements and then everything else is treats to be fed on occasion. If you do that you will be a successful dragon chef:) Keep adding in every new thing that pops up in the produce section each week and you also might just end up with a dragon that will only eat that one very expensive organic vegetable that you splurged on and then found out after that it's only available two weeks out of the year unless you special order it by the cargo load from TimBukTu:eek:

Enjoy!!

Latest posts