• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about new enclosure.

NeonXtacy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all!

I recently got a new enclosure for my little buddy. It's a 40g at 36Lx16Hx18W, will be getting him a 75G eventually
upload_2018-4-9_21-40-29.gif
. He is close to 6 Months old now!

I have a T5 24inch reptisun for his UVB, 50w halogen bulb for basking which is on a dimmer. His basking surface is currently at 100 degrees. Just below his basking site, the temperature is reading at 85 degrees with the laser gun. His cool side is reading at 77 degrees and in the middle it's reading at 80(this is my concern)

Do you guys think I should buy another heat lamp? I dont think his gradient is that great? What would you guys recommend
?

Also, I've noticed that he hasn't been digesting his BSFL properly, there are still some in his poop that wasn't digested
. Could this happen because of my setup?

Any tips, changes you fine people recommend
? Thank you for reading

Setup https://imgur.com/a/k5eXB

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You'll want to get a higher wattage basking bulb. Temp should be closer to 107 degrees. The cool side temp is good. Make sure your basking bulb and your UVB bulb are overlapping. They need the heat to synthesize the D3 and calcium. It's best to put them one in front of the other. The heat could be part of the problem that he's not digesting the BSFL properly. Try getting the temp higher and see what happens. It could also just be BSFL. I don't have any reptiles that have ever digested them properly.

NeonXtacy

Bearded Dragon Egg
You'll want to get a higher wattage basking bulb. Temp should be closer to 107 degrees. The cool side temp is good. Make sure your basking bulb and your UVB bulb are overlapping. They need the heat to synthesize the D3 and calcium. It's best to put them one in front of the other. The heat could be part of the problem that he's not digesting the BSFL properly. Try getting the temp higher and see what happens. It could also just be BSFL. I don't have any reptiles that have ever digested them properly.

Thank you for the reply!

So its okay if the UVB and basking Light are next to each other like how I set it up?

Also, I adjusted his light dimmer, it's hotter, he has his mouth gaped longer than I am used to, is that good :)? It's hitting 105 with the temp gun. But it seems to read higher with the probe.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
he's just regulating his temperature, if he gets too hot he will move. Both of my dragons bask for an hour or so after eating under the heat lamp, but never too near the hottest spots. Then they will usually move to a more comfortable place in the viv, often to bask under the UV.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thank you for the reply!

So its okay if the UVB and basking Light are next to each other like how I set it up?

Also, I adjusted his light dimmer, it's hotter, he has his mouth gaped longer than I am used to, is that good :)? It's hitting 105 with the temp gun. But it seems to read higher with the probe.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a picture there, yeah that is fine for the lights. The temp gun is probably more accurate so I would stick with that. If it's a few degrees warmer, it's okay. If he gets too hot he will move.

NeonXtacy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all good people for the replies!

I'm glad my setup is fine! Been feeding him his BSFL one by one, seems to be digesting better :).

Latest posts