• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about how to utilize the T5 HO Reptisun 10.0 UVB in a 40 gallon tank safely.

painwheel

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the help in advance. I was surrendered a 4 yr old bearded dragon recently (with no prior experience of caring for) and only had a 40 gallon tank available. He will be moving on up to a 120 gallon tank soon, I'm just trying to make him as comfy as I can before the big switch. He gets plenty of time out of the tank and has a spot outside for him he visits every day the weather permits it.

In regards to the photos; He normally has a tank background/carpet/decor, but I'm doing a big cleanup on his tank furniture today so we switched over to some of the larger furniture meant for the future 120 gal while everything dries and my concern is his being way too close to the UVB tube/ not in the range of light. Just to be clear, his basking light was switched over to a lesser watt, and will be switched back over to a 100w later tonight when we grab the stand from storage to dangle it over the tank. I'm aware that the lamp is too low and will cause overheating if I have the wattage any higher until I have the stand.
The T5 HO Reptisun 10.0 UVB is housed in a Reptisun T5 HO Terrarium Hood which to my knowledge has a reflector and that hood is placed onto a mesh cover. Because of how short (18 inches) the tank is currently, I don't have the hood hooked up inside the tank as not to fry the poor guy out because I was told this uvb light at such a small distance (about 8-9 inches from him on the furniture he usually uses) could only be safely used on top of the mesh. I would like to put his shorter furniture back in but during today's cleanup, I noticed that he's really loving this tall climbing stand. The UVB light as you can see is not directly over him but as there is only a few inches between him and the start of the cover, my concern is that because he's not directly below it, he won't be getting enough uvb, but if I moved it above him he would be receiving too much and would earn himself burns.
I can't even fathom how to mount the UVB at a higher distance (like the UVA basking lamp will be). The curves of the hood seem to prevent light from leaking out horizontally (refer to 3rd attached photo to see UVB without UVA on) so I'm not sure how to make it safe for him for the hood to be on the mesh above him once the basking light is suspended. He's just too close.

The TLDR questions to sum this all up: Is there best a way to tilt the hood on top of the mesh to send the light over to the front of the tank so he can have the UVB at a safe distance while he enjoys this tall piece of furniture? Is that even a good idea? If tilting the hood will cause problems, what sort of contraption can I add to this hood for suspension above the cover so the path of light will rest directly over him at a distance without burning him? Should I just keep the tall furniture to the cool side?
Would love any and all ideas. His setup was rearranged (w/ his background/carpet/decor back in it's place) after photos were taken, the tall rock-looking piece is now on the cool side until I can figure out how best to make it safely accessible on the warm side.

Attachments

• PXL_20230605_231112181.jpg
    PXL_20230605_231112181.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20230605_231132435.jpg
    PXL_20230605_231132435.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20230605_232759361.jpg
    PXL_20230605_232759361.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the help in advance. I was surrendered a 4 yr old bearded dragon recently (with no prior experience of caring for) and only had a 40 gallon tank available. He will be moving on up to a 120 gallon tank soon, I'm just trying to make him as comfy as I can before the big switch. He gets plenty of time out of the tank and has a spot outside for him he visits every day the weather permits it.

In regards to the photos; He normally has a tank background/carpet/decor, but I'm doing a big cleanup on his tank furniture today so we switched over to some of the larger furniture meant for the future 120 gal while everything dries and my concern is his being way too close to the UVB tube/ not in the range of light. Just to be clear, his basking light was switched over to a lesser watt, and will be switched back over to a 100w later tonight when we grab the stand from storage to dangle it over the tank. I'm aware that the lamp is too low and will cause overheating if I have the wattage any higher until I have the stand.
The T5 HO Reptisun 10.0 UVB is housed in a Reptisun T5 HO Terrarium Hood which to my knowledge has a reflector and that hood is placed onto a mesh cover. Because of how short (18 inches) the tank is currently, I don't have the hood hooked up inside the tank as not to fry the poor guy out because I was told this uvb light at such a small distance (about 8-9 inches from him on the furniture he usually uses) could only be safely used on top of the mesh. I would like to put his shorter furniture back in but during today's cleanup, I noticed that he's really loving this tall climbing stand. The UVB light as you can see is not directly over him but as there is only a few inches between him and the start of the cover, my concern is that because he's not directly below it, he won't be getting enough uvb, but if I moved it above him he would be receiving too much and would earn himself burns.
I can't even fathom how to mount the UVB at a higher distance (like the UVA basking lamp will be). The curves of the hood seem to prevent light from leaking out horizontally (refer to 3rd attached photo to see UVB without UVA on) so I'm not sure how to make it safe for him for the hood to be on the mesh above him once the basking light is suspended. He's just too close.

The TLDR questions to sum this all up: Is there best a way to tilt the hood on top of the mesh to send the light over to the front of the tank so he can have the UVB at a safe distance while he enjoys this tall piece of furniture? Is that even a good idea? If tilting the hood will cause problems, what sort of contraption can I add to this hood for suspension above the cover so the path of light will rest directly over him at a distance without burning him? Should I just keep the tall furniture to the cool side?
Would love any and all ideas. His setup was rearranged (w/ his background/carpet/decor back in it's place) after photos were taken, the tall rock-looking piece is now on the cool side until I can figure out how best to make it safely accessible on the warm side.
You don't want the uvb closer than 12-15 inches unobstructed - you can cut the screen or take part of it off- w/ your decor being so high I would get a different piece that sits lower and have it directly under it- I would get the uvb placed then figure out a basking piece - he will go to the light he needs -

painwheel

Bearded Dragon Egg
You don't want the uvb closer than 12-15 inches unobstructed - you can cut the screen or take part of it off- w/ your decor being so high I would get a different piece that sits lower and have it directly under it- I would get the uvb placed then figure out a basking piece - he will go to the light he needs -
I'm a little bit confused, it should be unobstructed with this specific light? I assumed it would be okay to have a raised area leaving him 6-9 inches from the lid/uvb (with him now being 6 inches away currently) so long as there was mesh to obstruct it. It's a standard Zilla screen lid with a door, is something like that just stopping too many of the rays regardless how close he sits to it?
I can definitely keep the smaller furniture to the warmer side, but if I put that hooded bulb in he would have to be like nearly flat to floor level to be far enough away from the light at the higher end of that requirement (15 inches). Especially since the hood adds a little to the height. With the hooded UVB being limited to what's under it, is that what's normal? For him to just walk over to the flat area under a uvb and chill when he wants it and move on over to the basking level when he doesn't want it anymore? I thought he had to have constant exposure to it (from the basking area) during the 12 hours it's on (the hood being spread out in 2/3rds of the tank) and a place to escape on the cool side when he didn't want exposure anymore.

painwheel

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also quick correction to my original post: It's a 36 x 18 x 16 tank, I thought it was 18 inches high, it's actually a little over 16 inches high.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm a little bit confused, it should be unobstructed with this specific light? I assumed it would be okay to have a raised area leaving him 6-9 inches from the lid/uvb (with him now being 6 inches away currently) so long as there was mesh to obstruct it. It's a standard Zilla screen lid with a door, is something like that just stopping too many of the rays regardless how close he sits to it?
I can definitely keep the smaller furniture to the warmer side, but if I put that hooded bulb in he would have to be like nearly flat to floor level to be far enough away from the light at the higher end of that requirement (15 inches). Especially since the hood adds a little to the height. With the hooded UVB being limited to what's under it, is that what's normal? For him to just walk over to the flat area under a uvb and chill when he wants it and move on over to the basking level when he doesn't want it anymore? I thought he had to have constant exposure to it (from the basking area) during the 12 hours it's on (the hood being spread out in 2/3rds of the tank) and a place to escape on the cool side when he didn't want exposure anymore.
No dragons need to be able to get out from under in the tank w/ out having to hide from it- screens block 30% of the uvb rays- if it was a wide holed type you could leave it on top and distance would be different - is your tank 18" high? Distance can be 12-15 inches- so you have a high enough tank - just make sure he can get directly under it -- ok 16 inches can be difficult - are you looking at upgrading the tank? Please get a 24" tall tank -- a 120 gallon - I can post links if you need them

painwheel

Bearded Dragon Egg
No dragons need to be able to get out from under in the tank w/ out having to hide from it- screens block 30% of the uvb rays- if it was a wide holed type you could leave it on top and distance would be different - is your tank 18" high? Distance can be 12-15 inches- so you have a high enough tank - just make sure he can get directly under it -- ok 16 inches can be difficult - are you looking at upgrading the tank? Please get a 24" tall tank -- a 120 gallon - I can post links if you need them
Yeah we are upgrading within the next two weeks to a 120 gallon so just trying to get the advice to make the tank we have now work until I can purchase the new one. He was a surprise guest rescue so it's been a learning on the go sort of thing.
Will update the tank ISO I have up with specifics about the tank we are looking for needing to be 24" tall and rearrange the tank we have currently again just to get it more in tune with the 12-15 inches from light distance space available directly under the UVB hood. I think we have a raised tiny lil ledge small enough to not be completely flat but keep him from being too close to the exposed light after either an alteration to the cover to cut it is made (the material looks thin enough for the tools I have) or it's placed right under the lid.
Thank you again for all of the assistance, I'm so happy this is able to be corrected so soon into his stay so he can finally get comfy.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah we are upgrading within the next two weeks to a 120 gallon so just trying to get the advice to make the tank we have now work until I can purchase the new one. He was a surprise guest rescue so it's been a learning on the go sort of thing.
Will update the tank ISO I have up with specifics about the tank we are looking for needing to be 24" tall and rearrange the tank we have currently again just to get it more in tune with the 12-15 inches from light distance space available directly under the UVB hood. I think we have a raised tiny lil ledge small enough to not be completely flat but keep him from being too close to the exposed light after either an alteration to the cover to cut it is made (the material looks thin enough for the tools I have) or it's placed right under the lid.
Thank you again for all of the assistance, I'm so happy this is able to be corrected so soon into his stay so he can finally get comfy.
I can post links for tanks if you like -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would love that if you don't mind.
Here are some sites to visit
www.zenhabitats.com they have a nice mat that fits the tank
www.symtonbsf.com
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.apcages.com I have only known one person that has gotten a tank from these people so cant give you feedback on these
https://carolinadesignerdragons.com/ I dont like these they are all glass and very heavy-- and I dont like the way they have the UVB set up either -- if you need to move the basking bulb its attached to the UVB and then you can end up w/ surface basking issues--

Latest posts