• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about feeding redworms

FalconMan

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys, I've been having issues keeping enough dubias on hand to feed Izzy on a weekly basis. I had been getting a recurring shipment of 400 small ones every friday...started running out about wednsday so I upped it to mediums but there seems to be a shortage of the mediums out there? And thats buying me an extra day.....I read that beardies can eat nightcrawlers and redworms/redwigglers...so I picked up some this morning from a wal-mart that sells live ones as fishing bait. She eats anything put in her tank so made quick work of a few of them. I was wondering if anyone had a nutrition chart on these worms? And how many are safe to feed a dragon? Or should they be considered treats only?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys, I've been having issues keeping enough dubias on hand to feed Izzy on a weekly basis. I had been getting a recurring shipment of 400 small ones every friday...started running out about wednsday so I upped it to mediums but there seems to be a shortage of the mediums out there? And thats buying me an extra day.....I read that beardies can eat nightcrawlers and redworms/redwigglers...so I picked up some this morning from a wal-mart that sells live ones as fishing bait. She eats anything put in her tank so made quick work of a few of them. I was wondering if anyone had a nutrition chart on these worms? And how many are safe to feed a dragon? Or should they be considered treats only?
To be honest I wouldnt feed them -- especially from Walmart -- your dragon is how big? And where are you ordering from? There are many website to get roaches from --- this is my go to place and a lot of people I know order from this place www.dubiaroaches.com she should be eating salads every day ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
You can order also get BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order large and DO NOT dust them -- they are calcium enriched -- they are a great staple feeder for babies and a great compliment to your roaches - add the BSFL to the tops of your salads and use as many as you want --- I would get her some small / medium super worms as well -- you can use like 3 on top of those salads - rinse your salads before serving so she is getting moisture and add the BSFL and super worms in front of her - the movement will get her attention --
your best bet is to order from dubiaroaches first thing in the morning -- they are limiting the orders now -- try and get some roaches and small super worms and the BSFL are called nutri grubs on this site --- all come in containers w/ food --

FalconMan

Hatchling Dragon
She is about 11" now nose to tail, and has proven to be a very picky eater. She absolutely loves Dubias, and won't touch BSFLs unless she's -really- hungry. And she won't eat the greens unless there completely dried out/crispy. I decided to dry out some Mustard greens to see if the crunchyness appealed to her. She will eat Silkworms, super worms and crickets readily enough. I got the redworms just to tide her over till the dubias come in tomorrow.

I'm getting my Dubias from Reptilian Arts and got the first box of BSFLs from symptonbsf.com...I had such a hard time getting her to eat the bsfls that they actually started maturing into adult flies...which she would eat ironically enough... I can get Superworms at the local petstore if need be though its about an hour round trip so ya

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is about 11" now nose to tail, and has proven to be a very picky eater. She absolutely loves Dubias, and won't touch BSFLs unless she's -really- hungry. And she won't eat the greens unless there completely dried out/crispy. I decided to dry out some Mustard greens to see if the crunchyness appealed to her. She will eat Silkworms, super worms and crickets readily enough. I got the redworms just to tide her over till the dubias come in tomorrow.

I'm getting my Dubias from Reptilian Arts and got the first box of BSFLs from symptonbsf.com...I had such a hard time getting her to eat the bsfls that they actually started maturing into adult flies...which she would eat ironically enough... I can get Superworms at the local petstore if need be though its about an hour round trip so ya
Well shes getting a varied diet -- I cant understand why they eat dried out greens :rolleyes: mine will do the same but not all the time -- I have gotten dubias from reptilianarts as well but mostly get the silk worms from them --- they stickto everything so you can add those to the salad as well

FalconMan

Hatchling Dragon
Yep and I powder the dubies so she's got plenty of calcium...she's very active and friendly, just worries me when I run out of dubies and don't have no food for a day. And to be honest I wasn't too happy how they shipped my last batch of dubies..they sent them in a small burlap sack...glad I saved the containers from the small dubies I got a bug container on the way to store them so should be good there. I've looked on Amazon/Ebay for dubies but for there alot more expensive for the same ammount/size of dubies if there available. and right now I'm spending $55 a week

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep and I powder the dubies so she's got plenty of calcium...she's very active and friendly, just worries me when I run out of dubies and don't have no food for a day. And to be honest I wasn't too happy how they shipped my last batch of dubies..they sent them in a small burlap sack...glad I saved the containers from the small dubies I got a bug container on the way to store them so should be good there. I've looked on Amazon/Ebay for dubies but for there alot more expensive for the same ammount/size of dubies if there available. and right now I'm spending $55 a week
Go to dubiaroaches.com in the morning ---- get a 10 gallon aquarium look at garage sales on craigslist those tanks can hold around 200 roaches-- order dubia food and water crystals you can also feed them stuff you feed the dragon----- they like squash and carrots+ DO NOT feed the dragon carrots too to much vitamin A- reptilianarts did the same to me too but I had the aquarium so I was good

FalconMan

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks I think I got a 20 gallon in the shed I can get...just need to clean it up and get a lid for it. And I'll look at the dubie care stuff in the mornin

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If you buy redworms and raise them till you have a new generation, and them relocate the new generation to a new container, then id say itd be a good idea :) but dont feed bait shop worms, they most definitely are gonna have parasites, im raising discoid roaches (they’re similar to dubias) and ive found it quite easy and yea spending 50$ a week sucks. Id save up some funds and look on ebay for someone selling an established colony.

Latest posts