• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question time

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So my female bearded dragon is about 5 years old. She's been acting perfectly fine. As usual, an appetite like a horse, has the energy to run around, alert, all that.
Today I let her out to run around, and I noticed she smelled extra...well...reptiley.
I checked her underneath and she has black in the area near her vent, upper tail, and some on her leg. I put her in the bath and black flakes came off. I suspect she just ran through her poop and it dried and crusted up on her. I tried to get more of it off but she hated it (and hated me) and it wasn't all that successful.
Does this happen to anyone else?
Could it be something else?
If it is just poop dried up on her, does anyone have advice on getting it off or kinda at least "sanitizing" her?
Thanks!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Warm baths and some light scrubbing with a soft bristled toothbrush should help clean her off. My oldest girl, Ruth, and I have had to do this a few times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my boy smells "reptiley" most of the time. but - his poops are small enough that most of the time i dont notice brown flakes - just the smell. quick bath takes care of it

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds like she sat on her poop. Make sure she's hydrated and that there wasn't a reason the poop stuck to her. A warm bath and a little scrub with a soft toothbrush works great. When I first rescued Dolly, she smelled extra ripe because she was left in her poop for a long time. I bought a reptile soap from beardeddragon.co. It's a detox soap made for extra smelly dragons.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I will definitely have to try some of that detox soap. I've been wondering if there was some sort of soap that was safe to use on them. Thank you for informing me of it!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep I agree with the above info given, baths with toothbrush, shampoo from beardeddragon.co and make sure free of parasites.

Latest posts