• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about UVB

Jsmith23

Bearded Dragon Egg
We got our little bearded dragon about a week ago and I'm still trying to figure out the lighting. Right now I have a 100w basking bulb, a 26w coil UVB and an 18" tube UVB on a tank that is 40 gallon. I ordered the Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulb for the 18" fixture but it arrived broken so I'm using the bulb that came with the fixture which is just a standard F15T8 fluorescent bulb. I'm working towards getting a 24" fixture and with the right UVB tube bulb I could hopefully eliminate the coil bulb, but for now this is what I have. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
ReptiSuns are on sale at Petco now, if you don't want to risk receiving another broken bulb you could get curbside/in-store pickup.
Your light should ideally cover 3/4 of the enclosure, so make sure you are getting the correct length of UVB.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We got our little bearded dragon about a week ago and I'm still trying to figure out the lighting. Right now I have a 100w basking bulb, a 26w coil UVB and an 18" tube UVB on a tank that is 40 gallon. I ordered the Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulb for the 18" fixture but it arrived broken so I'm using the bulb that came with the fixture which is just a standard F15T8 fluorescent bulb. I'm working towards getting a 24" fixture and with the right UVB tube bulb I could hopefully eliminate the coil bulb, but for now this is what I have. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you!
Please ditch the coil ASAP- the T 8 is a better bulb and if it's a 18 inch that is most common- the 24" fixture will even be better you will need a 22" bulb 10.0-- the T 8 needs to be inside the tank NO plastic cover over the bulb- distance 6-8 inches--

Jsmith23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please ditch the coil ASAP- the T 8 is a better bulb and if it's a 18 inch that is most common- the 24" fixture will even be better you will need a 22" bulb 10.0-- the T 8 needs to be inside the tank NO plastic cover over the bulb- distance 6-8 inches--
Is the coil bad? It's all I have until I can get a new T8 bulb on Friday.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The coil does not distribute UVB light around the cage (it just stays in one small area), and the visible light is too strong and can cause eye damage.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes they are inadequate-- your better shutting it off and get your T 8 on Friday- he will be fine for a few days-- coils just cause so many health issues- just follow what I recommended on distance etc

Latest posts