• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about smell

SinLA

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! First post here. I do not own a Beardie but am considering getting one. I currently own a Russian tortoise, but it would have no connection with any other reptiles I get. I am active over on The Tortoise Forum, and there are a lot of lizard owners there, but thought I'd ask my questions here instead. I have a friend who has a BD and says hers does not smell, but I have heard others say that their enclosures smell pretty badly (even with cleaning).

If I get a BD I'm considering where the enclosure would be and it would either be in my home office, or in a hallway by a set of french doors so it could look outside a lot) but that is also near my bedroom. I am not overly fussy about a lot of things, but I am sensitive to smell so this is really something I want to get an understanding of, before I consider getting one because having something really noxious smelling in either of those locations would be a problem for me.

Once nice thing is in either location I could set up the option for an outdoor enclosure connected to their tank, so they could go outside and get sun at their leisure, and I'm in Los Angeles so there's a lot of sun to be had all year long...

Would love to hear about your experiences as far as this goes. Also happy to answer questions...

Your_Liege

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi!!
I've had my beardie for a few years, and he hardly ever smells that bad. The only time he does is when his tank isn't cleaned out (like when I get home) or if the reptile carpet wasn't cleaned thoroughly enough (I have a better substrate in transit now; should be here in a few days).
Depending on what he's eaten, the smell can worsen. I haven't paid enough attention to see which foods make it worse, admittedly. Sometimes this smell can be very bad- but I can only really smell it close to the tank or if it is open. Although, normally, it only has a very mild smell.
Also, when I have him in the bath, he seems to give off more of a smell than when he is dry. It's not necessarily a bad odor, but there is a smell and it can linger at times (but not too bad).

All in all, it really depends on the circumstances and the individual beardie.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! First post here. I do not own a Beardie but am considering getting one. I currently own a Russian tortoise, but it would have no connection with any other reptiles I get. I am active over on The Tortoise Forum, and there are a lot of lizard owners there, but thought I'd ask my questions here instead. I have a friend who has a BD and says hers does not smell, but I have heard others say that their enclosures smell pretty badly (even with cleaning).

If I get a BD I'm considering where the enclosure would be and it would either be in my home office, or in a hallway by a set of french doors so it could look outside a lot) but that is also near my bedroom. I am not overly fussy about a lot of things, but I am sensitive to smell so this is really something I want to get an understanding of, before I consider getting one because having something really noxious smelling in either of those locations would be a problem for me.

Once nice thing is in either location I could set up the option for an outdoor enclosure connected to their tank, so they could go outside and get sun at their leisure, and I'm in Los Angeles so there's a lot of sun to be had all year long...

Would love to hear about your experiences as far as this goes. Also happy to answer questions...
The worst is the poop but if they are relatively free of parasites then the smell isn't that bad- carpet loose substrate is the worst for harboring bacteria thus the smell- using textured non grooved non adhesive shelf liner is the best or a black mat zen habitats sells- it will fit a 4x2x2 tank-- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution wipe down w/ a wet dish towels / cloth- this will eliminate the smell - also a vet disinfectant like F10 will also take care of smells- for the most part dragons dont stink themselves- your lighting and basking temps are crucial - do not listen to pet stores when getting advice your better off coming to a forum like this one getting good correct advice that will keep your beardy healthy

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Yea I'd agree, it really just boils down to how clean you keep it. I happen to have a Leopard tortoise and I'd say the smell is comparable....although not much can compete with a fresh beardie poop for aroma. Just clean up after them and you won't have an issue.

SinLA

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the input (btw, hello @Yvonne G !). Pet stores are the worst, I never have anything to do with them.

With Tortoises if they get outside sun (not through glass) often enough, they don't need inside UVB, is that also true with BDs? I think BDs are maybe more 'delicate' as far as their UVB needs are though...

If I get one, I'm going to hopefully have the ability to let them go outside on their own into a protected area, something akin to this: https://www.wayfair.com/Tucker-Murp...r-Cat-Cage-X211554875-L2250-K~W100443764.html.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the input (btw, hello @Yvonne G !). Pet stores are the worst, I never have anything to do with them.

With Tortoises if they get outside sun (not through glass) often enough, they don't need inside UVB, is that also true with BDs? I think BDs are maybe more 'delicate' as far as their UVB needs are though...

If I get one, I'm going to hopefully have the ability to let them go outside on their own into a protected area, something akin to this: https://www.wayfair.com/Tucker-Murphy-Pet™--Long-Tunnel-Outdoor-Cat-Cage-X211554875-L2250-K~W100443764.html.
Yes but you must watch the temp--- it would be good to place in sun/ shade so if he gets too hot he can retreat to a cooler place and yes UVB should be in the inside tank as well --- I dont know where you live but winter they will need it

SinLA

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes but you must watch the temp--- it would be good to place in sun/ shade so if he gets too hot he can retreat to a cooler place and yes UVB should be in the inside tank as well --- I dont know where you live but winter they will need it

yes it would be part sun, part shade, and it would be able to in and out directly from the enclosure as it pleases (or when I open access, not sure yet, since I don't actually have one).

Latest posts