• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about his lights

hammons

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have always used the Reptisun 10.0 17 watt T8 bulb. Are there other options that are just as good that I can maybe purchase at lowes or home depot that are just as good? What is the difference between T5 and T8?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most of us use Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 fixtures/bulbs or Arcadia 12%
Differences would be T5 10.0 bulbs will penetrate thru the wire mesh screens and are still beneficial to them towards the floor of the tanks. These bulbs only need to be replaced once a year.
T8 bulbs need to be placed on the underside of the screen lid so that it's closer to them and doesn't penetrate as far into the tank. These bulbs need to be replaced twice a year.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There are no bulbs at the hardware store that provide UVB, you need to buy reptile specific bulbs. The fixtures however are different. You can buy a T8 fixture at the hardware store. Not sure about the T5 since with the T5 you want to have a reflector. I think that PetMountain is having a blowout Easter sale, they might have T5 fixtures for sale.

T8 is a bigger bulb, T5 is a smaller bulb. So they won't fit in the same fixtures. Hdrydr31 already explained the other differences.